Thread: padi vs. sdi?

Hybrid View

Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-h2O View Post
    As far as money goes, yes alot goes in to becoming an instructor and thay deserve to be compensated for it. I have several friends who are instructors. I have seen the things they need to do and not to mention insurances they need to carry.(Well at least in NY)
    My local dive instructor (SDI/TDI) has nothing good to say about PADI. I'm not sure that it's not pure bias but I don't have any way to judge. His take is that PADI courses are designed to make money and not to teach real necessary skills. He says that PADI courses are superficial and have some downright wrong ideation.

I have some doubts. This same guy says PST steel tanks are crap (I got used PST 72 and 65 LP tanks, viturally brand new with new high end valves for $100 for both as opposed to buying a single 80 Worthington from him for $350). He doesn't like Mares computers (because he isn't a dealer??? I really don't know).

I have to admit that when I got my kit for OW with them (after 55+ years of snorkeling experience) they did offer me options (including the most economical). My choices went to what I really wanted and thought was best with no pressure from them.

As far as my OW instruction goes - I thought they were very concious of each individual's progress and were kind enough to suggest additional sessions at no cost. I have no reservation with SDI courses. I've gone through Nav, Deep, Night and Solo. I plan to do Search & Recover soon. The courses are seriously good as long as you have a conciencious instructor.
    The only thing I believe in is disbelief - except in the case of unexpected miracles.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Each agency has its own curriculum, but the basics of diving are just that, and everything else is just marketing! All any card is is a release of liability for the person providing the air, there is no law against diving without a C-Card, only liability for the air provider! Like all education instructors or teachers are people and all different in one way or another The instructor can make the difference in weather a diver will be one for a long time or just another passing fad! PADI is an easy target for many, but you can get a great PADI instructor and a bad SDI one, so is the real question about the program? If so as long as basic principles of safety are covered it becomes personal involvement and your own quest for learning and desire to take your training seriously and to the next level and that can be done regardless of the agency!

The rewards of being a good diver are wondrous and fulfilling and often a door to a whole new world!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/