Thread: Back Inflate or Vest

Hybrid View

Going back to what zero said about face down in the water. First off any diver is very difficult to rescue with gear on. If they are unconscious, it very possible they are still breathing and you don't want to be face down because you will drown, and inhale water. So I dive with a vest bc and have grown to like it.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    Going back to what zero said about face down in the water. First off any diver is very difficult to rescue with gear on. If they are unconscious, it very possible they are still breathing and you don't want to be face down because you will drown, and inhale water. So I dive with a vest bc and have grown to like it.

If you are looking for a vest to maintain your head above the water after the dive, you will have to get a Personal Flotation Device found in most marine supply stores. There is not a BC, wing or vest, that is approved as a PFD. So the question should be, "what device will provide the most efficient diving?" A packplate with wings (bp/w) provides for the most efficient trim in the water, while the vest will usually place the diver in the head down position. With your head down you will be constantly working to maintain trim, using more gas, and an over-all negative dive experience (more work, less enjoyment). The bp/w will allow for horizontal trim, which directly translates to less work to maintain trim, which also leads to less gas consumed, less fatigue after a dive. Basically a more controlled dive, which is always safer. The benefits are endless. Rule number 1 in my diving for success is this: 1. The diver (me) MUST HAVE FUN, and less work, means more fun! Rule number 2? 2. Repeat rule number 1

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    A packplate with wings (bp/w) provides for the most efficient trim in the water, while the vest will usually place the diver in the head down position.
    Well, I don't know about that. I am very comfortable and trimmed in my jacket or vest style BC. If anything I would say it tends to position my slightly heads up/feet down (weight integrated Mares Frontier). My BP/W DEF. positions my head down, wayyy down, and I like to add some trim weights near the bottom of the tanks to flatten me out without having to fight with it all the time.

City
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    If anything I would say it tends to position my slightly heads up/feet down (weight integrated Mares Frontier). My BP/W DEF. positions my head down, wayyy down, and I like to add some trim weights near the bottom of the tanks to flatten me out without having to fight with it all the time.

We may be arguing apples and oranges. I will say that putting weights in a BC is proving the arguement. You are affecting trim by positioning weights within the framework of the vest. As to the bp/w, repositioning the backplate or the bands on the tanks will affect the trim one way or the other. Note: Just adding weights to the tank may do more to adversely affect your trim in the water, not to mention the additional work required to move in the water column.

Of course body composition is the determining factor in all this.

Smile

Sure any and all bc aren't USCG approved as a pfd but a vest will keep your face out of the water, especially when compared to rear/back inflation. By any chance can you tell me how to wear a pfd with a bc?

City
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    By any chance can you tell me how to wear a pfd with a bc?

VERRRRRRRRY CARFULLLLLLLY!!!!!!!

Registered Users

Default Surface Floating Issue

Just a quick post, to say I had similar surface issues with my new Seaquest Balance BCD last August, but stuck 2 lbs in the non dump pouches at the back (1lb in each)..and it seemed to fix the problem.

And as said elsewhere here, you dont need to fully inflate either.

Hope this helps.

City
    Corona
    State
    California
    Country
    United States

Thumbs up Thanks to all

After going back and forth I decided on the Back Inflate (Sherwood Axis) I appreciate all the input. Trip to Catalina on the 24th to try it out. This should be interesting.
    SeaDog
    You Never Know What Lurks Below

http://www.myspace.com/twself

Registered Users
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

I tried that PFD/BC combo this weekend, but I ran out of places to put the 50 pounds of lead I needed to get under...

Registered Users

Default Back Inflate or Vest

Back inflate almost always put you in the water when you start and if you are unconscious. Something to consider, but thats the way I dived and I love it. No mess on the forehead, or press, if you breathe.