Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What User Titles do you want?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What User Titles do you want?

Hybrid View

Bottom scratcher is not a term familiar in the U.S.

But then again, the name on the cereal box in the U.S is "Rice Crispies" whereas in Austalia it is Rice Bubble, and we don't have Vegemite. We call them vans, in the UK they might be called a lory, and in Australia I think the term is canby. We call it an electrical exstension cord versus "flex" in the UK, and the fish we call a "grouper" is called a "groper" in Australia, whereas a groper in the U.S. is some man or woman who likes to cop a feel off strangers, but I will guess "cop a feel" is strictly an American term.

I love geographical diversity. It be very interesting

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Bottom scratcher is not a term familiar in the U.S.

But then again, the name on the cereal box in the U.S is "Rice Crispies" whereas in Austalia it is Rice Bubble, and we don't have Vegemite. We call them vans, in the UK they might be called a lory, and in Australia I think the term is canby. We call it an electrical exstension cord versus "flex" in the UK, and the fish we call a "grouper" is called a "groper" in Australia, whereas a groper in the U.S. is some man or woman who likes to cop a feel off strangers, but I will guess "cop a feel" is strictly an American term.
    Gotta love the english language. None of us could master it so we changed it to suit and then confused the hell out of everyone else that spoke it or tried to learn it. We do have Rice Bubble and Vegimite(you gotta try it at least once in your life). Ive never heard of a canby? but we have heaps of vans. Trucks arent utes tractors are driven by farmers.
    We do have gropers both underwater and the male variety that cop a feel.
    We also have words that arent rude but offend a lot of people that dont know the Aussie meaning.

Matt

Women can be gropers too!

We heard the term "Canby" from the oz music group "Men without Hats" singing the lyrics : "Travelin' in a fried out canby...:

Women can be gropers too!

We heard the term "Canby" from the oz music group "Men without Hats" singing the lyrics : "Travelin' in a fried out canby...:
    That would be "Men at Work" and the line would be"Travelling in a fried out Combie" .
    A combie is a type of van that hippies and travellers love to travel in. They are a kiwi and australian icon! Many many people have chugged a bong load in one of these baby's!

Here is one

Azza, nothing like me being wrong but getting a good laugh! That was funny!

Now I will guess combie means a combination vehicle, as in dual purpose, or now called a utility vehicle.

Great photo and story, I am still giggling....

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Nah Combi is the model of that specific van. Made by VW in the 60-70s

Azza, nothing like me being wrong but getting a good laugh! That was funny!

Now I will guess combie means a combination vehicle, as in dual purpose, or now called a utility vehicle.

Great photo and story, I am still giggling....
    LOl. Yeah I did kinda wonder where Canby came from

Na a Utility, or Ute as they are more commonly known, is one of these..

With this particular model being the Ford Falcon XR8
    Last edited by Azza; 01-13-2007 at 10:10 PM.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

But was there any dive gear in the back to clunk around? Great pic

Matt

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Gotta love the english language. None of us could master it so we changed it to suit and then confused the hell out of everyone else that spoke it or tried to learn it. We do have Rice Bubble and Vegimite(you gotta try it at least once in your life). Ive never heard of a canby? but we have heaps of vans. Trucks arent utes tractors are driven by farmers.
    We do have gropers both underwater and the male variety that cop a feel.
    We also have words that arent rude but offend a lot of people that dont know the Aussie meaning.

Matt
    The only problem with the aussie lingo is that they abbreviate virtually everything...For example : stubby, stubby holder, chrissie, pressie, snaggers, barbie, whizz-banger.
    Lottie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast