Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Let's keep it complicated

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    I dove open circuit with a rear wing, the wings were of decent size. When done with the beach dive that invariably had me way out from the shore, I would partially inflate it, get out of the entire harness, inflate it all the way, and crawl halfway up onto it like a paddle board. I could kick for miles that way if I had to.....

Now THAT would be a a funny thing to see. Maybe we could use our BC's to do a little surfing! I am thinking I need more lift, my BC won't float itself when fully loaded and me not connected. LOL, it is all of the weight I need for the cold water gear. Hopefully my new wing will be here soon and that problem will be resolved.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by kirwoodd View Post
    really?
    how so?
    I am NEVER in a tight spot where a long hose to my buddy would be beneficial. Cave/wreck divers? FER SURE! Well, I guess that I can't speak for all OW divers, just me. I don't need a long hose.
    I would much rather negotiate a very tight restriction with a trained cave diver using a standard octo, than to deal with a thrashing, panicy diver in open water with anything less than a 7 foot hose. We breathe the long hose since in most true emergencies an out of air diver is not going to politely ask for your octo, they are going to grab what they see working. Using a long hose for OW dives, may seem overkill, but it gives you some room to back away from a paniced diver and carefully assess the situation.

BTW, it was the cave diving community during the Sheck era that came up with the idea of having a long hose to donate, making it much easier for two divers to negotiate restrictions while sharing air (I have a story filed away somewhere, will try to find it later.) Like most of the skill sets developed by these pioneers, it has found useful applications to other areas of diving as well.

City
    Boston
    State
    Ma
    Country
    USA

BamaCaveDiver, I basically agree with you, except...
    If I have MY KNOWN buddy with me, sure a long hose is fine in OW, but if I have any other "buddy" I don't want them that far away from me, its MY air, you will stay RIGHT here. :-d

I am not saying you are wrong (because you aren't) I am just saying that I feel differantly.
    sounds like we need to gear up a teampaulc uberwagen and hit the highway in the sinister way that only a vehicle with a clown on it can -- warmeister

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

If I have MY KNOWN buddy with me, sure a long hose is fine in OW, but if I have any other "buddy" I don't want them that far away from me, its MY air, you will stay RIGHT here. :-d

I am not saying you are wrong (because you aren't) I am just saying that I feel differantly.

Dude,

Based on your previous posts, this diving thing is fairly new to you. Give it a few years, and a lot of water in the gills, then re-assess your position. Our diving has evolved as the years and experience increase.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Jacques-Yves Cousteau once said:

"Better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought a fool; than to open it, and remove all doubt"

He said it in French though, and I didn't understand ...
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

City
    Boston
    State
    Ma
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    Dude,

Based on your previous posts, this diving thing is fairly new to you. Give it a few years, and a lot of water in the gills, then re-assess your position. Our diving has evolved as the years and experience increase.
    I reassess my position almost daily, why wait?
    sounds like we need to gear up a teampaulc uberwagen and hit the highway in the sinister way that only a vehicle with a clown on it can -- warmeister

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

There is nothing to stop you from maintaining a close, comfortable distance with your buddy on a long hose; you can only strecth the hose so far though when that same buddy is panicing and thrashing about, endangering anyone within their reach.

City
    Boston
    State
    Ma
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    There is nothing to stop you from maintaining a close, comfortable distance with your buddy on a long hose; you can only strecth the hose so far though when that same buddy is panicing and thrashing about, endangering anyone within their reach.
    I am a heartless bastard. If I am air sharing and the recipient of my sharing panics, I will try to calm them down, if I cant, I will abandon them. I don't care if they are right next to me, or at the end of a7' hose. In my opinion, with the type of diving that I do, there is no need for an air sharing buddy to be more than 6" from my mask.

HOWEVER, as stated earlier, if I ever have to actually share air in a true emergency, I may start singing a new tune.

City
    Boston
    State
    Ma
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    Jacques-Yves Cousteau once said:

"Better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought a fool; than to open it, and remove all doubt"

He said it in French though, and I didn't understand ...
    So because I disagree that makes me a fool?
    Hardly.
    It means that I am capable of free thought and critical thinking. I am sure that there is some equally one sided insult I could throw out there about sheep, but I wont.....

I am NOT saying that long hoses are bad, I am saying this:
    At my current experience level, with my type of diving, I think that a long hose is not good for me. Why is it that so bad? I have said it before, and I will say it again: Bamacavediver is 100% correct, long hose is right for him (and others), not everything is right for everyone.

God I hate religion.
    Last edited by kirwoodd; 08-02-2007 at 03:30 PM.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

So because I disagree that makes me a fool?

I am NOT saying that long hoses are bad, I am saying this:
    At my current experience level, with my type of diving, I think that a long hose is not good for me. Why is it that so bad? I have said it before, and I will say it again: Bamacavediver is 100% correct, long hose is right for him (and others), not everything is right for everyone.

God I hate religion.

Have you ever dove a long hose, seen it used, dove with some one who is using one?

As for the religion thing......Huh?????

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast