Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
OK, this question is directed toward the more technical and advanced divers out there.

I was wondering about diving without a BC. Actually to be more accurate, I was thinking about diving with my Dive Rite Trans Pac with an AL80 with no wing installed. I will have my dry suit to make minute adjustments as needed, but in my opinion if I am weighted perfectly I should be just fine.

Several questions: 1. How deep do you propose to go? 2. In the event of a drysuit failure, what is your back-up? How are you going to compensate for buoyancy, at depth, then shallow again when the gas in your tank is depleted?

You mentioned the drysuit for minute adjustments, what about for the initial phase of the dive where more gas is required for at depth dives? Especially when the depths are deeper than 100 feet (30 m)?

Your contingency planning must be thought out completely! The drysuit failure, be it the inflator seizing up or free-flowing. The exhaust valve failing. A seal failing, dumping water into the suit. All these are very real and have all occurred. You might say that the dive is over in all these scenarios, but how do you make your way back to the surface SAFELY? Another issue is going to be your trim in the water, which is critical to proper diving. With all the additional gas in your suit, you will work far harder maintaining your posture in the water, hence consume far more gas, thus shorten your dive. And the advantage is?

A drysuit will fail, just when is the question.
DO YOU WANT TO FIND OUT WHEN?
Dollars-to-doughnuts it will be the most in-opportune moment.

A thought: In the first days of diving they had no buoyancy compensating devices, and used all manner of items to try to perform that task. So they developed a devise. Why are you trying to remake the wheel?

Trying to eliminate unnecessary gear is laudable. Simplifying equipment and placement is prudent. Diving with out essential equipment is miss-guided at best, and a death wish at its lowest common denominator.