If you can try on some stock suits before buying snake, you may be able to save yourself some serious cash over the custom suit. The most important aspect is to get a suit that fits well while not restricting your movements. I have owned a Moby's (which I would not recommend to anyone), a DR 905 (which I still consider the best bang for the buck if you can fit into a stock size, and yes they have a good selection of stock sizes), and I am currently diving a DUI TLS350. The DUI was bought from one of those guys who gets into the sport with more money than ambition (decided to find a new hobby right after he finished his certification) and was a custom suit (I was amazed at how close his measurements were to mine and when the asking price dropped to $1000 (with only 3 dives on the suit no less) I jumped on it.) I am not a fan of the rock boots, but they are not so bad that I am willing to change them out. I did hate the zip seals enough that I had them removed from the wrists, and will likely replace the neck seal eventually. I hate cold water, so I have never tried the integrated hoods or dry gloves; I just use a standard 7mill dry hood and neoprene gloves (when the water temp is in the 50's.) As for undergarments, thinsulate is nice and toasty but it is expensive and does not launder well. The DIR nazis all blasted Weezle, claiming it required too much loft and had a tendancy to trap air (funny how this was only reported when using DUI dry suits ) I use DR Primaloft (a Weezle knock off basically) and have not encountered any problems (nor have I heard anything but praise from my buds who are diving Weezle undergarments); it keeps me toasty with minimal loft and does not trap air. A lot of folks have been been praising the Fourth Element Artic and Xerotherm undergarments as the perfect replacement for thinsulate, saying it has far less bulk and can be laundered regualrly without damage. Another option that I have heard good reports from is the Santi suits; made in Poland, these custom suits use thinsulate but are offered at a very good price (they also make custom dry suits, but I do not know of anyone who has used one yet.)

I like the suggestion of going to a demo day weekend and trying on several stock suits. DUI and DR hold these on a regular basis across the US, and it is a great opportunity to see how the equipment will actually function for you in the water before laying out all that cash.