Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOG Rigging Guide

Hybrid View

Registered Users

Great post with good info.

Question: is the crotch strap absolutely necessary for single tank, tropical style diving if the shoulder and waist straps fit nice and snug?

Registered Users

I dont know about absolutely necessary but I highly recommend it. It stops the bottom of the rig floating up and makes it all so much more a part of you. Its not at all uncomftable.

I agree....use it.

After a dive or two...you will forget it's there.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

If the resin reinforced stuff is too uncomfortable you could use normal 2" webbing, seat belt webbing or even go to 1". I run 1" on my transpac and on my backpack and never notice it.

Matt

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    If the resin reinforced stuff is too uncomfortable you could use normal 2" webbing, seat belt webbing or even go to 1". I run 1" on my transpac and on my backpack and never notice it.

Matt
    Zero,

2" webbing is reinforced to add durability for supporting your tanks (read more than 1). Seat belt webbing is not nearly durable to support the tanks and equipment you will be diving. The same argument for the 1" webbing. Believe me, you do not notice the webbing after a dive, or during it either. Remember the diver positioning thru-out the dive (horizontal).

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    Zero,

2" webbing is reinforced to add durability for supporting your tanks (read more than 1). Seat belt webbing is not nearly durable to support the tanks and equipment you will be diving. The same argument for the 1" webbing. Believe me, you do not notice the webbing after a dive, or during it either. Remember the diver positioning thru-out the dive (horizontal).
    OOPS was just for the crotch strap not all of the harness. Ouch couldnt imagine the world of pain carrying twins on 1" webbing even with padding on them.

Registered Users

One thing that's easy to forget when thinking about the comfort or fit of any harness is that it will feel completely different when vertical, out of the water compared to horizental when under water. I dive heavy doubles, and they're an incredible PITA, and not at all comfortable until I submerge, at which point I no longer notice them. The snugger the harness, the harder it is to get on but the more stable everything feels under water. As far as durability, unless you love to re-thread your harness a lot, wider does last longer and there really isn't any lose of comfort. If anything, wider wouldn't cut as much. YMMV

Stu

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post

Matt
    I take it that you don't scooter, trust me when I say that the 2 inch is a lot more comfortable

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Nope i cant say i do and i didnt think of it like that either. It does make sense.

Matt

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    I take it that you don't scooter, trust me when I say that the 2 inch is a lot more comfortable
    Heh. I've been using the double setup, one around each leg for that very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by scuba smurf View Post
    if you're referring to the inner tubing on the shoulder straps,they're for holding your backup lights snugly against your harness.
    Inner tubing is a diver's wonder material second only to duct tape.
    Last edited by BillGraham; 02-01-2008 at 11:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast