Use your friends gear, Rent, try the instructors, but understand that dive gear has come a long way? Do you need AC or a Radio in your car? No, but it makes the driving experience a better one! The gear you start with will not be the gear you end up with! Unless you ask a lot of questions and try a lot of gear before you buy!

Mask: It has to fit, brand is not important, but quality is!

Fines: Stay away from Split fins it is simple physics, trust me!

Booties: Depends on surface you will be diving on? Beach, Boat, or Rocky shore will dictate the soles you will need!

Wet Suit: If you dive cold water this will be your most important purchase! If you are uncomfortable you will not dive and your gear won't matter! It will rot!

Regulator: Simple, Light, and a name Brand that if you travel you cam buy parts in Timbucktoo!

BCD: I like Dive Rite it travels well and is the most versatile I have seen in 37 years! Also rugged and will last and they are modular! Back inflation I think is best, but up to you? Back does not squeeze you on the surface!

Computer: If I could recommend one computer it would be the Oceanic Data Pro plus II. You will never need another as long as you dive! It is the Lear Jet of computers, yet easy and reliable! No cheap, but the company stands behind it and I have over 1200 dives on mine and it is great! It will expand with you, it will help you plan your dives, and it is down loadable!

Last but not least: Reed's Rod all porpoise dive tool! Save a reef dive with Reed's Rod!