I think the issue is the government is not accomplishing anything by asking for ID's.

People have a proud tradition here in the U.S. of defying the government. From the Founding Fathers, to Susan B. Anthony who defied the government who prosecuted her for voting, to Rosa Parks, all these people defied the government in the name of liberty.

All the 9/11 hijackers all had valid, government issued ID's and boarding passes, proving that asking for ID's and boarding passes accomplishes nothing.

I think somewhere throughout this characters beef he did say that had there been a long line behind him, he would have yielded immediately so as to not subject others to his act of defiance. I think he was more making a political statement while making sure it didn't impact anyone waiting in line behind him.

Until they do nude strip searches combined body cavity searches, nothing they are doing accomplishes anything, and TSA has admitted it. But they are doing virtual nude strip searches at Phoenix airport now. I find the concept of some guy running his hands all over me violative.

Reminds me of when I boarded an Amtrak train several years ago. Once I was on and the train was rolling, 10 minutes later the ticket taker guy goes to each passenger, and when he got to me, he asked me for ID. I asked him if he compares that to a database of anything, which he said no. I asked him what he expected to accomplish then, and he just sheepishly smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

I've been at airports where the terminal gate attendant goes on the PA system and says "All passengers 18 or older, please have your ID's and boarding passes ready." This translates to; "Now preboarding all airplane terrorist hijacking bombers 17 or under, no ID's required".

I wonder if the government is going to engage in taking away peoples' liberties, would that effort be better directed at terrorists or citizens?

Perhaps it it all were useful, a better argument could be made.

"Anyone who gives up essential liberty for temporary peace and security is worthy of neither". Quote widely attributed to Benjamin Franklin