Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
Hello Paula,

I have a little 5 megapixel point and shoot pocket digital camera. It's a Canon Powershot and it has an underwater setting, which adds red back in a little bit.

When I shoot photos with it, I recognize its limitations. I try to take photos in waters as shallow as possible so natural sunlight helps, and I try to get as close to the subject as possible.

If I am shooting a small subject like a nudibranch, I get as close as the camera's lens will focus, and I always use forced flash. This is a must, set your camera so it fires the onboard flash no matter what. For subject within 1-2 feet, this will really help.

Other than that, one or 2 external strobes will help, but using external twin strobes on a cheap point and shoot is sort of odd, better to wait till you have a pro camera.

I use Photoshop too to add red back in, and it really helps. I think there are economy style photo programs out on the market.

With the above steps, you should be able to get decent pics.
If the camera supports white balance and you have no filter, try setting the white balance against something green before the dive. This will have the effect of a redish filter making the pictures look more natural. It does not compensate for lack of lighting, just the loss of red, orange spectrum you experience loosing after about 3 feet of depth.