As far as the PADI manual stating that, I couldn't comment because I've never seen it, and in the context you are suggesting ... I guess .... maybe??? They are trying to make a point ...???? As far as other agencies promoting this, I am a NAUI member and I can guarantee you there is no such thought contained in NAUI literature that I'm aware of. NAUI training materials state the EXACT opposite, that every dive should have a goal. And the context for that might be to keep people from doing stupid stuff like bounce deep dives just so they can show their guages off when (and if) they make it back to the surface.

Personally, my regular dive buddy is a GUE trained diver. (His name is being withheld to protect him from Inquisition style flogging and Excommunication ... KIDDING!). And a few years ago I tried to adopt a hogarthianesque set up: backplate, webbing with the "H" on it and the whole bit. I in NO WAY call myself a "DIR" diver, because really I am still learning the gear and the system and budget restraints have kept me from purchasing the accepted regs, etc.

To say DIR is all about being safe in the water and diving with people who have a similar attitude; I like that. That is a good thing. And I think that's what the original intent was with DIR and the WKPP work. But you can't deny that many of the proponents of the system today are zealots. And hey, let me tell you my buddy is one of 'em! To say the WKPP boys were never like that ... what about that DIR video where dude ... wasisname? Steve?? Starts off by showing off the new piece of DIR kit: a body bag, to bring home the none DIR divers in? Now, I realize the zeal comes from a wholehearted belief that their system is right, and man they have put a lot of hours into perfecting the system under serious conditions and know way more about it than I do for sure! But I think there is a point to be made that the fanaticism turns people off from the validity of the system. You can't walk up to a diver and say, "you're a stroke! You are doing everything completely wrong! It's not a matter of "if" you will die, it's "when"!", and then expect that that person will want to learn more of what you have to say. You alienate the rest of the diving community doing that.

I have a hard time with my buddy's contention that "you WILL die" not diving a hogarthian set up. When someone who dives 10 times a year splashes in on a 25' reef in the Caribbean, warm water, perfect conditions, with a jacket style BC and a Cressi reg and Mares fins, are they at greater risk of dying then if they were dressed in backplate and harness and long hose? Meh ... I'd debate that. Is the harness a better way? In that situation? Maybe ... but I'd debate if it really makes a difference at that level.

I wear my backplate and harness with doubles all the time and do some great dives with my buddy. But when I teach scuba I can't wear that rig since I am not qualified to teach it. So I switch back to my Mares jacket style BC for the class ... and I love it. I feel 100% comfortable and safe diving that set up in 20' of water with the students. (Now, I also consider myself to be diving solo at those times since I can't necessarily depend on the students to be there for me in an emergency ... but that is a whole 'nother discussion )

whew ...! Sorry for being so long winded! Can you tell this is something me and my buddy hash out over and over again?! lol