Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real Housewifes Blog : scuba diving

Ace I noticed that but just assumed it was there to be out of the way, plus when I'm not using mine it's probably about that low so it's out of the way

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

I think we can safely bet that your respective partners (or, hey, even you) thought the same things (cumbersome equipment, looking and sounding funny, the many ways you can kill yourself while diving) at one time or another
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

I have to say I never thought of the ways I could kill my self diving, still don't. Recreational diving seems pretty safe atleast to me, it's when you start pushing the limits and start doing mix gasses and all the other fancy stuff, your asking for trouble. Maybe I'm wrong but for now I'm sticking to the basics.

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

In my case, during my entire OW course years back, the initial socializing into the immediate diving community inevitably included story-swapping about horror stories (meant as cautionary tales, so yes, I thought about the ways I could inadvertently off myself ).
    From a diver flown off by currents (flashing a mirror saved him); to coming upon a lifeless diver on what was suppose to be a regular dive, turning into body retrieval (our DM tried to resuscitate her but it was too late); to the instructor, while helping another diver, landing on fire coral himself.
    I guess our instructor then figured that if we scared us (as newbies) enough, we’ll never take anything for granted and we’ll know how to talk-down anxiety. And then, he can free this batch of guppies. Eventually, of course, the double-checking became second nature, and the more enjoyable the dives.
    Last edited by PinayDiver; 10-19-2007 at 04:24 AM. Reason: I thought it needed an emoticon hehe
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

well those are some good reasons

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    it's when you start pushing the limits and start doing mix gasses and all the other fancy stuff, your asking for trouble.
    You're only asking for trouble if you don't get the proper training, IMO. Nothing, what-so-ever, wrong with sticking to the basics. But, going further isn't asking for a death sentence either.
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    I have to say I never thought of the ways I could kill my self diving, still don't. Recreational diving seems pretty safe atleast to me, it's when you start pushing the limits and start doing mix gasses and all the other fancy stuff, your asking for trouble. Maybe I'm wrong but for now I'm sticking to the basics.

The first thing I must address here is the misconception that diving is 100% safe. It is not!!! If it were, every body would be doing it, and there would not be stacks of liability forms for setting foot inside a dive store! Your dive and the preceding plan must all be done with the knowledge that doing this could very well kill you! To ignore that is take a GIGANTIC step towards the grave! IGNORING THE RISKS DOES NOT NEGATE THE RISK!!!!

Nothing wrong with sticking to the basics, but just because it is not right for you or maybe it is right for you, does not make it right or wrong for another. The concept of crawling before walking, walking before running, and running before sprinting comes to mind.

For the beginner, the recreational limits are a vast area to dive within, as experience, time, and maturity come in to play, (and gills, for some) other avenues of diving will open up and become of interest to the divers. What interests one diver will not interest another. To undertake one avenue of diving does not neccessarily set one up for death. I dive caves, mixed gases, numerous overhead environments (including ice diving). The diving is not fancy, just requires an even greater degree of attention to detail.

I think you get the point, so I'll not belabor the point.
    Last edited by amtrosie; 10-22-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12