Quote Originally Posted by Finless View Post

Personally, I prefer to know the bag is on the surface before I leave the wreck as we can have strong tides running after the slack and I like to know the skipper can follow me as I drift off the wreck. Sending the line up from 40 or 30 mtrs requires a decent sized reel (IMO). I just clip the reel and bag to the cylinder D ring on my twin set before getting in and I never notice it is there. I've never got it caught up on anything yet.

DIR divers prefer to use a spool but what a pain in the arse to wind the line in again.

Oh, I don't know about difficult to wind up the line. I use a 1 or 2 meter SMB (3' or 5' for the US crowd) and pre-load a spool with about 150' (45 m.) of line. I place that in my left pocket, and when I leave the wreck, inflate the SMB, and release. The SMB has been clipped or secured to the reel, so let Boyle's Law do it's thing. Then as I ascend, I take in the line. It is not difficult, and is a great reference during deco. At the surface, either roll up the SMB, or clip the reel to it. Once on the boat, then you can "make it pretty". No muss, no fuss.