Thread: A Rant

Hybrid View

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

What is the name of the dive shop?

Post their info here so we can all avoid them. Maybe the if they see their name here in a bad light they will change their tune.

I agree with you on both points. I would go into the dive shop (assuming there is another in your area you can deal with better) and tell them you have taken your business elsewhere. I also find that telling them you have alerted other divers via internet of their practises causes immediate reversals on many bad policies.

On the second rant.....I AGREE! I learned to dive in 1968 and the course was very long and very difficult. It included rescue, deep, wreck, night and many other skills (including many deemed too "dangerous" for todays litigious people) that were considered essential for safe diving. I won't mention what certification agency changed all that (OK, PADI!!). They decided that by dumbing down the basic course they could charge $$$ for the further training needed to make you actually safe.

PADI people can howl all they wish about that. I was diving and teaching at the very beginning of PADI and know, personally, how it all started.

Now, all the agencies do it, in some form or another, to be competitive. PADI has become a reputable training agency.

Registered Users
    City
    Miami
    State
    Fl

More and more local shops are turning to online business nowadays as well. I have purchased gear from 123scuba.com several times in the past and was always happy with them. Then in a recent conversation with them about a computer, I was told I could swing by to pick it up to save time. low and behold, they are a full service shop with fills and everything.

How about that!