Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
Going back to what zero said about face down in the water. First off any diver is very difficult to rescue with gear on. If they are unconscious, it very possible they are still breathing and you don't want to be face down because you will drown, and inhale water. So I dive with a vest bc and have grown to like it.

If you are looking for a vest to maintain your head above the water after the dive, you will have to get a Personal Flotation Device found in most marine supply stores. There is not a BC, wing or vest, that is approved as a PFD. So the question should be, "what device will provide the most efficient diving?" A packplate with wings (bp/w) provides for the most efficient trim in the water, while the vest will usually place the diver in the head down position. With your head down you will be constantly working to maintain trim, using more gas, and an over-all negative dive experience (more work, less enjoyment). The bp/w will allow for horizontal trim, which directly translates to less work to maintain trim, which also leads to less gas consumed, less fatigue after a dive. Basically a more controlled dive, which is always safer. The benefits are endless. Rule number 1 in my diving for success is this: 1. The diver (me) MUST HAVE FUN, and less work, means more fun! Rule number 2? 2. Repeat rule number 1