Thread: Let's keep it complicated

Threaded View

Default Let's keep it complicated

As you fine patrons of this fine site know, I recently took the GUE DIR-F course and umm,, err, well didnt do so well.
    But, just the same I did learn some new diving techniques and philosophies and have adopted a totally new approach to diving. I am so much more safety minded now and so much more aware of how to be a good diver; although, the skills elude me.
    Nonetheless, I am working to achieve those skills and have decided to be dedicated despite the constant heavy dose of humility and frustration that comes with practice.
    Now, with all that in mind. And the fact that my practices have been as often as possible and my skills have not gone forward, I am now involved with something else.
    Ya see, before I discovered this GUE DIR thing, I enrolled in and paid for a NAUI Rescue class. It started last night. One instructor and four students (including me). We were all class room work last night, discussing various things, some related to safety.
    Now here I am, adopting a new philosophy, unskilled but trained, knowledgeable but unable to put the knowledge to practice and I suddenly find myself forced to dive with people that I consider unsafe.
    Funny, but those people, employing the "happy go lucky, good thing I am ignorant" style of diving that I used to use and be happy with, are now divers that I sit and wonder what they could be thinking.
    Anyway, I digress. My point is, I am trying to become proficient at a whole new system and now I have to complete this rescue class. Complicates things to say the least.
    And, the ironic part is, I feel this rescue card is meaningless. I am probably better trained after one weekend of GUE DIR then I am going to be after 6 classroom settings, 2 pool sessions and 6 Gulf dives of training.
    Funny how something unexpected to change one's perspective on things, isnt it?
    Last edited by WarmWaterdiver; 03-06-2007 at 04:19 PM.