Thread: Malapascua Trip Report

Threaded View

Default Malapascua Trip Report

This report on my last trip to the Philippines (October 23-November 9, 2007) has already been posted on two other forums.... I'm copying it over here for those who haven't seen it yet....

I departed Japan on Tuesday October 23rd. I was able to get a direct flight to Cebu and arrived around 6:30 in the evening. Fortunately for me, there is only a one hour time difference between Japan and the Philippines, so I don't have the jet lag problem that people from the US would have to deal with.

I finally decided on Thresher Shark Divers Malapascua Island Diving, Philippines Cebu | Thresher Shark Divers for the Malapascua portion of my trip. I arranged my hotel and transportation through them also. Final price for my package was 79,500 pesos. This included Transportation to and from Cebu, six nights at Hippocampus Beach Resort , unlimited diving, Nitrox, Wreck, and Rescue Diver courses, 15 additional Nitrox dives in addition to the course dives, tanks, weights, boat, guide, and fees. At the current exchange rate (approx. 43 pesos=$1) this is approximately $1860.00 US XE.com - Universal Currency Converter

I brought cash with me and changed it at the airport in Cebu. After collecting my bags and passing through the customs, the money exchangers are all directly to the right as you come out. They all are right next to each other and they all give the same rate. They all want you to change your money with them of course. Since it didn't matter I picked one and changed my money.

You have to ask for small bills. Change is hard to come by in Malapascua. You will need it for meals, souvenirs, tips, etc... I waited once at a restaraunt for 10 minutes for them to bring change after I paid for a meal, only to be told that they were 10 peso's short (they had run out of change) I told them not to worry about it :-) I took every opportunity to get change when I could from the dive shop, the bar, or the hotel.

I was met by my driver at the airport. It was raining in Cebu when I got there. The driver told me not to worry, that it wasn't a typhoon... just rain. I laughed and said I wasn't worried... "it doesn't rain underwater" ;-)

There were also two men there who intially I thought were with the driver. Turned out that they were just looking to carry my bag in return for a tip. I have to much money tied up in dive and camera equipment to turn loose of my bags to people I don't know and who are not employed by the airport in any way :-)) It probably would have been okay, but it was only a few steps, and I kind of prefer to carry my own bags (usually) unless I really do need help. Unless you want to give them a tip don't let them carry your bag. One guy wanted a tip for "carrying" my camera case, despite the fact that I told him I had it and I never let go of it. He put his hand on it to "help" me and never let go despite my telling him politely a few times that "I had it".

We started up the road to Maya on the northern tip of Cebu Island where I would stay for the night. We stopped after a couple of hours at a little roadside stand. There are a lot of these places along the road. They grill meat and I had rice and soup (homemade) and a beer (San Miguel of course) We got a couple of bottles of water to take with us. 200 pesos for both the driver and myself. Roughly $4.75. I know.. I know... I was probably ripped off :-))

By around 10:30 PM we had reached Skips Beach Resort in Maya where I spent the night. I was met by the owner. Got checked in paid my 1000 pesos for the night. We ended up staying up and talking for a couple of hours. A very interesting guy. Was a student of Bruce Lee back in the 60's. Had pictures on the wall of the two of them together and it was obviously a younger version of him :-) He had lived in the Philippines for over 10 years. Had a lot of local information. Finally got to my room around midnight, took a shower and went to bed.

Was up at 5:30 AM and back on the road. We were only about 15 minutes from the pier at this point. We were met of course not only by our boat, but also men who wanted to carry my bags for a few pesos :-) The boatman took one, I took one, and this time after looking at the rocks we had to make our way across to get on the boat, I let someone carry my bag for me. I gave him 40 pesos. I tipped the the driver a couple of hundred pesos (he had slept in the car) and I was on my way.

I arrived at the dive shop at 6:45 AM. I was met by my guide for the morning. After having my C-Card checked and siging a few forms, we were back on the boat with my gear and on our way to dive by 7:05 AM. I had already missed the regular morning boat ride out to Monad Shoal for the Thresher Sharks. We went anyway. The sharks don't keep a schedule and are known to sometimes come up later. At 7:36 AM I was in the water on my first dive... less than an hour after arriving :-) To be continued.......
    Last edited by Bill22; 02-23-2008 at 04:26 PM.