Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leg Kicking

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Default Leg Kicking

I only noticed this more yesterday, that people are either kicking their legs as if they are doing a doggy paddle (scissor action) or as if they are doing the breaststroke (legs going out like a frogs).

Is there any difference (regardless of what fins you use) in these two ways of kicking your legs while underwater, or is it just down to personal preference??
    Lottie

Yes, the mentioned specialized stroke results in your thighs looking really buff and your legs tasting like chicken.

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

LOL Sarah...

Lottie, from what I've noticed, most of the people using the frog or modified frog kicks are Tech divers or, like me, Tech-Trainees or wannabes. The frog kicks are better in cave/wreck penetration dives to keep the silt movement to a minimum. Where-as, the regular flutter kick is what 99% of Recreational divers use. It is a personal preference, but there is bit more training people have done to learn the proper frog kicks. (Which I am still struggling to get)
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

LOL@Sarah - I need to get my thighs looking like that. Saying that I need to go running again (which'll help making my thighs look good and strengthen them more as well). And everything tastes like chicken!

Dale - thanks for that info. I did wonder. But this is recreational diving, not tech diving. I've noticed two of the DMS/OWSI's that i've had do the 'frog kick' (for want of a better word)...I've done breaststroke while swimming and dont' have any problems with moving my legs that way, but just seems weird doing that underwater. Like you said, it all comes down to practice and training.

Thanks
    Last edited by lottie; 08-09-2007 at 12:36 AM.
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Bottom line, do what ever is comfortable for you. Many times you will see divers switching between different kicks. The reason divers change kicks during the dive is because of different conditions like dalehall said. Silty, caves, wreck penetrations, etc and you will want to be REALLY careful with your fins.

On recreational dives, like the ones you do in that warm tropical water you can do what ever you please. Anyway back to what I was saying.....another reason divers switch between different fin kicks is also to prevent or relieve muscle cramps/pain. If you get a cramp or feel one about to start, you can sometimes modify your kicking style and that will take care of the problem. You will also see divers doing weird streches underwater to help. If you bend foward like you are touching your toes, but grasp the tip of your fin. You can then strech your leg muscles as you make your leg straight.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Personally I use the flutter kick if i want to get somewhere fast, ( or am chasing a student ! ), The frog kick, ( or my own, untrained, dumb looking version thereof), if i'm just idling around looking at stuff or want to stay in one place against a gentle current.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Bottom line, do what ever is comfortable for you. Many times you will see divers switching between different kicks. The reason divers change kicks during the dive is because of different conditions like dalehall said. Silty, caves, wreck penetrations, etc and you will want to be REALLY careful with your fins.

First and fore-most, the techniques that I use, are employed and practised to PRESERVE THE ENVIRONMENT THAT I AM DIVING (remember, we are visitors!) Hence, it may not be the most comfortable, but it will be the best for all concerned. The frog kick is used so as not to destroy what is below the fin. For example, on a reef, as the diver flutter kicks (if done properly), the bottom of the kick stroke will be a full 1/2 meter (2 feet) below the diver. So that diver, cruising over a reef (or anything else) will either strike with their fin, or the force of the water from that fin, significantly impact the area below. Not a good thing for the very thing we are trying to preserve. As an exercise, find a patch of sand with low current, and propel yourself across the bottom, all the while staying a foot to two feet off the sand. Stop, look back and see if the sand will be stirred up behind you.

This brings me to my second point. The flutter kick will reduce the visibility for the divers behind you! Now we are winning friends and influencing enemies!! (sarcasm intended) What are the benefits of the flutter kick? You get where you are going, quickly. Aside from the instructor correcting a student, what diver is looking to set speed records for distance covered?

As for the frog kick. It is very comfortable and easy to perform. You will also find that as you practise and refine this kick, ......... wait for it, ........ your gas consumption will decline significantly!!! While divers may not want to set speed records, there is not a soul, wanting to grow gills, that does not want to stay down longer!

Why use a frog kick? Because it is the most efficient way for the diver to enjoy the entire diving experience, for the maximum time, safely. THAT is always a recipe for going home with a smile on my face!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Hye, Thanks guys.
    Amtrosie - that was a good piece of advice and with info on why and when to do the frog-kick or flutter kick.

I think i'll have a go at doing the frog-kick when i go out tomorrow afternoon
    Lottie

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Hye, Thanks guys.
    Amtrosie - that was a good piece of advice and with info on why and when to do the frog-kick or flutter kick.

I think i'll have a go at doing the frog-kick when i go out tomorrow afternoon

With your issues with the full foot fins, I would look to getting a half-foot fin. (Definitely get booties) Don't go for the cheapest fin. You WILL get what you pay for. I personally use the "Jet fins" by scubapro. While it is an old "stiff" fin, it will not fail the diver when kicking. I am however, impressed with Mares "Quatros" fins. For the general recreational diver, this a very good fin.

A good fin will demonstrate the effectiveness of a good "finning" technique. A poor fin, on the other hand, will frustrate you as you seek to perfect your kick. It will also make you work harder (read use more gas), to do the same thing a good fin will allow you to do with ease. Have fun!

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I know that kicks to the reef would be bad, but I highly doubt the the water flow from fins would do any dammage. Considering the current and wave action has MUCH more power than a diver.

Anyway, another option Lottie is a DPV. Then you really don't have to worry about your legs cramping up. Plus if you get into looking for treasure and such, you can use it to dig, but that is another story.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast