Thread: Sigaboy, Davao Oriental

Default Sigaboy, Davao Oriental

We have just returned from Governor Generoso where we met the Governor, Mayor and many local officials who are actively trying to promote diving and eco tourism in that area.

Though we were prevented from diving due to the sea state, this area promises to have some of the best diving in the Philippines. It's open to the sea and - by all accounts - has plenty of shark, rays, jack and tuna. Many people there - and here in Davao - have reported sighting of tiger shark in this area (towards Cape St Augustine). In fact, I have a good diver friend who saw a tiger shark there a couple of years ago.

We have some friends who are going back there this week to check a few sites out. The area is stunningly beautiful and - regardless what people think - is extremely safe with great local people who are incredibly hospitable.

My wife and I are leaving the Philippines for a couple of months to dive the Turkish South Mediterranean (an area we know well) but will return to Davao in October. We are planning a week or so of exploratory diving there when we return. Are there any experienced divers who might be interested in joining us to open up dive tourism there? Accomodation will be tents on the beach and all costs to be shared (no profits). Photographers/videographers are partticularly welcome. Please send me a private message if you are interested in further information. Thanks.

Further to this post, this area does indeed have World class diving and plenty of tiger sharks.

However, this place can only be dived by making arrangements with the local people.

Also, you should be a very experienced diver and bring good safety equipment with you. This is a place for well experienced divers only.

PM me for further information (note that this will be provided via the coordinator for dive/eco tourism in this area) - do not expect 5* accomodation - just excellent diving,

Thanks
    WWD

Country
    USA

Thanks for the update, WWD, I am certainly following developments.

Just a note to say that the area mentioned is now a marine protected area and is totally closed for all fishing and diving for at least 2 years.

It is being protected by the coastguard, baranguay officials and the PNP on the orders of Governor Corazon Malanyaon, Davao Oriental

One of the marine biologists responsible for the development of Tubbataha is working with the Governor as a consultant to protect and fully restore the area.

So, sorry but no diving there for a while.

Registered Users AsiaDiveParadise's Avatar
    City
    Las Pinas City
    State
    NCR
    Country
    Philippines

Very very Interesting,
    will double check with the Governor
    http://philecotourism.wordpress.com
    www.mothernatureasia.multiply.com
    asia_dive_paradise@yahoo.com