Thread: Recommendations for OC, MD charters?

Registered Users
    City
    Raleigh
    State
    North Carolina
    Country
    USA

Post Recommendations for OC, MD charters?

Good morning everyone,
    I am going to Ocean City, MD for a mid-week vacation with the family at the end of August. While I'm there, I would love to get a couple of dives in.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a respected dive charter out of Ocean City? Unfortunately, I will not have a buddy (wife doesn't dive) and will definitely need one when I get there.

Also, I have heard some rumors that when doing open water ocean diving, you must have a pony bottle. Are there any truths to that rumor? This would be my first ocean dive and as much as I am looking forward to it, I want to make sure that the crew I'm going out with is trusted and safe.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Frankie
    Frankie W
    DiveCon/AOW- SSI
    Raleigh, NC

"Jeez, I crack myself up!"

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

I have never gone diving from Ocean City, but I do know divers that have. The dive op they use is www.ocdiver.com

They should be able to answer all of your questions.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by heelsfaninpa View Post
    Also, I have heard some rumors that when doing open water ocean diving, you must have a pony bottle. Are there any truths to that rumor? This would be my first ocean dive and as much as I am looking forward to it, I want to make sure that the crew I'm going out with is trusted and safe.

Frankie
    Some dive boats and dive shops do have a pony bottle requirement, and their requirements differ from shop to shop. One local shop for example requires a pony for all ocean dives deeper than 80 feet.

Using a pony bottle is a great idea, and I would not let this shy you away from a certain operator, in fact they may be the better choice because they are playing it safe.

Most dive shops rent a pony rig for about $12/day or so. It would include a full cylinder, a mounting bracket and a regulator with pressure gauge.

I would also make sure you are clear with the dive shop that this is your first ocean dive, and see how they react. Some shops won't allow you to dive without a guide or some training first, while others may have no problem. I know some shops provide a dive guide for the entire group too. You may have to pay extra for this too.

I would also try to find out where you will be diving. Some locations are just better for newer divers and some may be way too difficult for some divers.

I think the best thing is to get on the horn with all of the dive shops in that area, and see what they say.

Sounds like it is going to be a great time. Keep us posted on what you find out. I will also keep my eyes out for more info.

Ace
    Last edited by acelockco; 08-07-2007 at 08:00 PM.