Thread: Proof how stingray barb can kill-video

Default Proof how stingray barb can kill-video

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Steve must have pounced on that mutha' to get stung?

I mean that thing was slapping around, but no where even close to the cammera operator. It was trying to get away, knowing how Steve was, I am sure he was molesting that sting ray before he got the sting of death.

not necessarily, that sting ray was tiny compared to the one that got Steve

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

now that is what i call animal abuse and agrivation.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    not necessarily, that sting ray was tiny compared to the one that got Steve
    OK, but in retrospect, I have seen Steve Irwin do many things to animals that would cause an attack. He was just lucky for too long.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ive got to say i dont agree Ace. I seen footage just after Steves death of big bull rays being provoked and it was taking a hell of a lot of effort to get them to raise there barb in anger. These were very tame rays that were fed most days by fishermen and were very used to human contact. Most of them didnt even strike even when being pushed out of the water backwards. The guy that shot the footage had a lot more experience with rays and underwater in general and said the one that got Steve had probably never seen a human in its life so went into defensive mode straight away.

Matt

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

That's cool,

I wasn't there, but I have been with random rays and have never seen one act agressivly......EVER!

I have however seen Steve Irwin do things to animals that would definately make them try to defend themselves!

I don't know, just seems like the most logical explanation of what happened. But you never know........wow, did you see that pig fly right past my window?????

Country
    USA

One of the things I can never figure out is why these animal TV shows have the host character always more or less attacking the animal, wrestling with it, pinning it down, and a host of other behaviors.

Why not just leave the animal untouched, observe it and film it for all to enjoy unmolested?!

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

It used to be that way when Jaques Cousteau was doing this stuff. He did it because he cared about the animals and wanted to learn their natural behavior.

Today however, they need to sell commercials for tv, and everyone wants to see animals attack and such. So, molest animals and get attacked and you become a hero. Before that everyone thought that he was the moron that wrestled aligators and such.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Obviously the tool who shot this video was harassing that poor ray. A poke in the leg or the hand might've wised him up . . .