Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: V-Weights?

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

I have just started using a V-weight, it feels great, only thing is that the center of ballance changes and once you tilt to one side, the Vweight has a tendancy to turn you on your back, thats the only difference i have found. the weight is behind you and not at your sides and not pulling your head up and torso down, much better trim in my eyes since most of the dive you have to be horizontal. i find i am much more stable horizontally when working and taking pics u/w and that is important when it comes to working over corals.
    i like them

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

That's awesome, only you can really decide what works best for you. Like I said I tried tank weights myself and had almost exactly the same results as you did, however I hated the fact that I would get turned onto my back so easily. It made me feel really uncomfortable.

Funny though, because I always thought I would hate ankle weights. I thought that they would be uncomfortable and heavy and such. Well I tired a pair and now I am hooked. It is like my feet are always exactly where I want them and I don't notice they are even on unless I look(the weights not my feet).

Isn't it such a great feeling when you get some gear or skill down to just the way you like it! Then you know it is time to move on to the next skill or new gear. And that's what diving is all about!

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I suppose with all of the extra buyoancy you get out of two near empty AL80's you would need a lot of extra weight.

Actually when I dive "wet" I do not use the "V" weight. It is only when I am my dry suit, diving AL doubles that I need a few lbs. The "V" weights are for a double tank set up, hence the attaching them on the bands, between the tanks. There is NO movement at all!! These weights can be custom made for any weight, but can be purchased in 8, 11, 15 lbs. "V's". The whole point of these weights is for the diver to be diving a balanced rig.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I know how they work and what they are used for.

I just was not aware of their name.

Funny, but I actually need about the same amount of weight when diving dry as I do when I am wearing a THICK wetsuit 7mm farmer john with a 7 mm top.

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

it all depends on the thinsulate you use, how think it is deternims the ammount of air in your drysuit.
    at the moment, i am diving wet, no need for dry suit in 40C+ summers.
    winter, on the other hand......

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I was diving today dry, and I was actually hot during the dive. I don't need a dry suit now because the water is plenty warm, it is just more comfortable than a wetsuit for me.

I think tomorrow I am going to leave the polar fleece at home and just use a thin pair of sweat pants and a thin sweat shirt. I think I will be much more comfortable.

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

should be enough if the water is in the high 20's C

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

It is about 12 C or so on the the bottom and about 25 C on the surface. The problem is the air temp is about 37 C, so by the time you get geared up, even though you are wearing a dry suit, you are soaking wet.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I add a v-weight when I dive doubles, not so much for bouyancy but for trim. I found the double steel tanks were always pitching me head first. A few pounds near the bottom of the tanks trimmed me right out and I felt much better.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    I add a v-weight when I dive doubles, not so much for bouyancy but for trim. I found the double steel tanks were always pitching me head first. A few pounds near the bottom of the tanks trimmed me right out and I felt much better.
    Were you not able to slide your cylinders down or your wing up to adjust your trim? You might also try a few different wings to find one that works for you. The DR classic has long been regarded as a great doubles wing, but the design (short with a wide bottom) made it impossible for me to get trimmed out. I went with a longer, skinnier wing and solved the problem. I just hate the idea of adding non-ditchable weight to cure a trim issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast