View Poll Results: Should dive certifications be a "license" with renewals?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 41.03%
  • No

20 51.28%
  • I'm on the fence

4 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Should Dive Certifications be a "license"

Threaded View

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Default "Ability" to Dive - a need to retest & renew?

I have another question about this "license" renewal thing but am not sure if I should start a new thread or not, considering whatever will be discussed will be based on what was already said here.

Most of us have expressed that a recreational diver should self-monitor and be responsible enough to himself and his buddy to dive within his ability & that a dive professional should preferably be monitored by their own agency. & the last thing we would want is for the government to get involved.

The question now is should there be a requirement to notify/retest or renew the diving certification if one's circumstances change enough to change one's abilities in the water? For example, surgeries, cancer treatment, aging 10 years etc?

What are your thought on this? A 16 year old who is a monster in the water, may still be one at 26, less so at 36, 46, 56, 66.... Then there are bits of life that happen.... or is there a worry that while one aces the swim test at 26 would probably flunk it at 56?
    Last edited by littleleemur; 03-24-2008 at 04:50 AM.