View Poll Results: Should dive certifications be a "license" with renewals?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 41.03%
  • No

20 51.28%
  • I'm on the fence

4 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Should Dive Certifications be a "license"

Hybrid View

Registered Users

Default No government regulations

What is the posted question again and what is it intended to ask?

You take a test both written and practical every Y number of years.
    If you've been keeping up on your skills, it shouldn't be a problem. If you
    haven't been keeping up then remedial training is required through any dive
    agency.

I do not want any governments involved in any of this. They'll just screw it up
    and diving will no longer be an adventure.

The dive industry has been very good at self regulating, let's keep it that way.

We've seen from time to time, an individual we said to ourselve, man they
    need more experience, practice, whatever. These are the types of people
    we're takling about. The ones you say, "should they be doing this dive" The
    one you when ask them and they say "Who are you to tell me I can't", the
    ones that feel they need to push their limit a little too far too quick. You can
    choose not dive with them, but you came to dive. It's not fair, but life not
    fair.. Should something happen to them and you were not there to help, or if
    you were, the experience, the memories. I can go on and one and a million
    post can add a million more reasons. There are a million ways this can be
    handled and will not be resolved in a forum.

So whats the point of writing all this stuff about should and shouldn't good for
    other than a way to vent our personal opinion on what we perceive to be correct?

So keep up the input, maybe someone will collect everything that is written
    and formulate a conclusion that will say recerts is a fad or a fact.
    Who knows...???
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    So whats the point of writing all this stuff about should and shouldn't good for
    other than a way to vent our personal opinion on what we perceive to be correct?

Can't that be enough?

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

You know and another thing:

I want everyone to think really hard now, don't you all remember your dive instructor saying this is only a license to learn when you were getting certified.

So if that is the case, the retest is pointless, maybe you are learning slowly. Is there going to be a law against that as well? So then I guess that there will have to be a minimum IQ level required to get certified? When will this all end??????

Also, if you are one of the people that think this is a good idea, put your money where your mouth is. If you really feel this is important, are you going to pay for this? Now are you going to pay for all of us that will be forced into this and did not want it?

I didn't think so!

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Yeah, I'll pay for ya Ace.

I know you are getting older, and forgetful sometimes...LOL
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    Yeah, I'll pay for ya Ace.

I know you are getting older, and forgetful sometimes...LOL

OK, now I am really laughing. We gota do some dives together sometime! I am sure we would have a blast!

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Yeah, I figured out what "senior" meant on your profile...

We will have to do that sometime.
    ASW
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    What is the posted question again and what is it intended to ask?

You take a test both written and practical every Y number of years.
    If you've been keeping up on your skills, it shouldn't be a problem. If you
    haven't been keeping up then remedial training is required through any dive
    agency.

I do not want any governments involved in any of this. They'll just screw it up
    and diving will no longer be an adventure.

The dive industry has been very good at self regulating, let's keep it that way.

There are three issues here:

1. The people "cussin and discussin" this issue are ALL active divers! This whole discussion is a moot point.

2. The individuals who take a cavalier attitude towards their diving, also take that same attitude to the divers around them when they eventually roll into the water for their single annual dive (if that). Endangering us all.

3. Today's litigious society pre-empts any thought of personal responsibility. Just see the thread on the high court in CA assigning blame to a camp for the death of a child, even though the mother had signed a release waiver for the very activity that the child died doing! I know, intimately how quick the legal system is to sue anyone other than the agrieved. Personal responsibility is no longer acknowledged! If you don't believe me look at the next diving activity waiver that is placed before you!

The premise that the dive industry regulates itself is such a farce, it almost becomes laughable!!!! How is the industry doing anything to control and advance the sport of diving? They sell gear without any proof of diving knowledge (in the form of c-card, or other). The training agencies have "watered down" the curriculum to the point that there is ample discussion as to the ability of 8 to 10 year olds!!! What was the time requirerments for training 15-20 years ago, compared to now? It used to be a MINIMUM of thirty hours for basic openwater, now 16 hours covers everything! Equipment has not improved to make up this void in training! What sort of skills requirerment is demanded? Both the snorkeling and scuba skills have been obliterated to the point that a student, presented with any problem, is in serious trouble to sort out any situation without panicing.

Sure the equipment is better than 30 or 40 years ago, why aren't the students? Why is it that anyone who wants to dive is automatically granted this wish as though it were a constitutional right? (sorry for the US reference here). The ability of the prospective student is not even considered. Whether that be physical or mental, forget the emotional considerations. I have witnessed husband/wife teams, where one partner was completely dis-engaged from the entire activity, but had been "dragged" into it.

Finally, I could not agree more with the assertion of trying to keep the government out of this whole enterprise. That will truely be the end of this sport, as it is enjoyed today!!!!! This is why we must be PROACTIVE in reversing the path that this sport is headed down, and REACTIVE to any government agency coming in and making all manner of bad regulation.

To wrap up this lengthy post: We who discuss this, are not the problem! It is rather those that are absent, who are the problem.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

amtrosie,

You have all valid points there, and I have to agree with you. As far as this being a litigious society, I think that is mostly in the U.S. I don't really think other countries would allow this nonsense into their court. I am usually not one for government involvement, but it would be nice if our government did step in there and put a stop to that crap. Just as long as they stay away from diving.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    amtrosie,

You have all valid points there, and I have to agree with you. As far as this being a litigious society, I think that is mostly in the U.S. I don't really think other countries would allow this nonsense into their court. I am usually not one for government involvement, but it would be nice if our government did step in there and put a stop to that crap. Just as long as they stay away from diving.

Yeah, riiiiggghhhhtttt!!! a government full of lawyers, telling lawyers to stop. I have a real good picture of that happening!!!

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

No,

what you do is make 1 new law, called the Frivolous Lawsuit Law. Make it so that if anyone is found abusing the system, that they can be criminally charged.

Seriously how many BS lawsuits would be dropped as soon as they knew if it went to court they could end up in jail. As of now, anyone can take anyone else to court for any reason, valid or not. They may not win, but there are no consequences right now.