Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going Solo?

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Lottie, what we are talking about is not diving without a DM/instructor, but alone like by yourself, no one else in the water with you at all.
    Yeah - thats what I'm talking about - I'll have the opportunity to dive solo (i.e. not with a DM/Instructor) when I'm in St Maarten....

Okay - scrap that...I'm in another world. My brain isn't functioning properly (think I need a new one )
    Lottie

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Okay - scrap that...I'm in another world. My brain isn't functioning properly (think I need a new one )

Why? Alzheimer's?
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    Why? Alzheimer's?
    nah..CRAFT* syndrome. You can get the symptoms at any age. There were some clinical trials performed a number of years ago, and it was found out that it can affect men and women equally from 18 years upwards and it wasn't heriditary either

* CRAFT = Can't Remember A F&%$£&&&%$ Thing
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Well with CRAFT you really should not be diving at all, especially not alone!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Well with CRAFT you really should not be diving at all, especially not alone!

Well it's probably a good thing I haven't been diving for the past 6 weeks then...or maybe thats why my CRAFT has come back.......
    Lottie

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Well it's probably a good thing I haven't been diving for the past 6 weeks then...or maybe thats why my CRAFT has come back.......
    Or maybe you are spending too much time in that Hippy Van

Registered Users

This is supposed to be a big no no eh? I usually would rather do most things alone but I haven't seriously entertained the idea of going diving alone. Honestly I want to. In fact I would LOVE to do this, but it just isn't smart. Something happens where a buddy could have helped and you just screwed yourself. And nobody knows! Otherwise, I would be out diving by myself on a regular basis. Seriously a cool solo endeavor. Shouldn't do it though.

How many of you are diving solo on a regular basis?

Off the subject:

Are there waterproof tracking devices that say, a diver could use in case he/she gets blown out to sea on a strong current? I started wondering about this when I heard about divers that have been blown off Farnsworth Bank. Something like this could save divers that have been left by dive boats too.

Also anyone know what happened to the shark repellant ankle bracelet that was being developed? It was mainly for surfers but also would have obvious dive applications. Just curious...I was watching something somewhere recently (CRAFT) about a diver that had been hit by the bends a second time because he was not able to stay at depth during deco due to sharks.

What about that dive footage coming from the Discovery HD 1080 Club trailor for their upcoming show?!

I guess you really got your nerves in check when you are willing to face off with a great white without a cage. Anyone know any of the divers that won the trip to go film? I put in my entry everyday, but no bones. The footage on that trailor is unbelievable.

"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by phrenicnerve View Post
    This is supposed to be a big no no eh? I usually would rather do most things alone but I haven't seriously entertained the idea of going diving alone. Honestly I want to. In fact I would LOVE to do this, but it just isn't smart. Something happens where a buddy could have helped and you just screwed yourself. And nobody knows! Otherwise, I would be out diving by myself on a regular basis. Seriously a cool solo endeavor. Shouldn't do it though.
    I beg to differ. I am not going to get into it right now, but do a little research and you will see that solo diving can be just as safe and in some cases safer than diving with someone. I am not saying all diving should be done solo and it may not be for everyone, but it can be done and very safely.

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

I have never gone diving alone. But that's because LadyDog (my wife) is my dive buddy, and if I went diving without her I would be in more trouble after the dive than I could ever get into during the dive.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    I have never gone diving alone. But that's because LadyDog (my wife) is my dive buddy, and if I went diving without her I would be in more trouble after the dive than I could ever get into during the dive.

Mountain Dog

I have a similar situation, but I just decided that the guilt trip is worth it. My wife works many more hours than I do, so I have more time to dive. I know she gets a little unhappy about it, but I worked very hard so I don't have to work hard now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast