Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Default Going Solo?

Hey, we could have fun with this one!

Has anyone dove alone?

Does anyone want to, but their Mommy won't let 'em?

Does any Agency offer a solo diving class?

Is anyone opposed to diving alone? Why is that?

Has anyone dove alone, and regretted it?

Is anyone want to learn more about it?

This is one subject I haven't seen yet; one that people can be very passionate about.
    Last edited by Tigerbeach; 07-31-2007 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Didn't finish last sentence
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Country
    USA

I dove solo for most of 30 years, but for closed circuit I won't dive solo.

The very few times I have done open circuit local, it was mainly to hang our with girl and guy friends. Other times it was for lobster season where I wanted to increase my chances by 50%, lol.

I have dove solo but almost always have a buddy since I finally found one that uses air at a simular rate and we both have the same objectives during a dive.

City
    Boston
    State
    Ma
    Country
    USA

I don't solo dive because I have a good dive buddy and don't need to dive solo. BUT, if I didn't have a good dive buddy, I would find one. In fact, I posted to a dive forum to find my buddy because I needed one.

My problem with solo diving is that I only have 27 dives and I just dont feel that I have the experience or the equipment to dive solo.
    sounds like we need to gear up a teampaulc uberwagen and hit the highway in the sinister way that only a vehicle with a clown on it can -- warmeister

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

I actually prefer solo diving, for a variety of reasons. Tight silty passages, especially when you are going into unchartered (read virgin cave) realms can make that buddy a liability more than an asset. Even on those simple dives in wide open passages, on the rare occassion that I go in with another diver, it is usually two solo divers sharing the same space during the same time interval. It is definitely not for everyone, but then that is what makes this world such an exciting place to live.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post

Has anyone dove alone?

Does any Agency offer a solo diving class?

This is one subject I haven't seen yet; one that people can be very passionate about.
    I don't dive alone because I always have someone to dive with, but I would dive alone in the proper conditions and place.

My mommy will let me dive alone, but my wife will not.

There is a Solo Diver course, I think TDI offers it.

I am opposed to someone diving alone, because they could always call me and I will dive with them. Just kidding, I am 100% for diving alone.

I am sure some have diven (is that a word?) alone and regreted it, but I don't know if they lived to tell thet tale. LOL

I am all for learning more and would love to take the TDI class.

Now, many times around here, we splash with our buddy (that way we have a buddy), but by the time we get to the bottom of the anchor line, we head off in different directions and SOMETIMES come up together. But I think that is the east coast wreck divers way of doing things.

City
    Boston
    State
    Ma
    Country
    USA

acelockco, I am just going to follow you around the forums and disagree with you.

Naah, I agree with you on this one.
    When I dive with a buddy, we are basically diving alone, I think that BamaCaveDiver said it the best. BUT, I do like having my buddy in visual range, which around here is pretty dam close. If I have an emergency I want to handle it myself, but if I can't, my buddy is there. Also, I happen to have a real good dive buddy, so that helps a lot. If I had a shoddy dive buddy then I might feel different.

The other thing, which is less about safety and more about the social aspect, is that when we surface I can say "WOW! Did you see that <some really cool thing here>!?!?!!" I am a social critter I guess.

p.s. I am not allowed to dive alone either. In fact, it took some convincing to allow me to dive without a float/flag (I boat dive)
    Last edited by kirwoodd; 07-31-2007 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added postscript
    sounds like we need to gear up a teampaulc uberwagen and hit the highway in the sinister way that only a vehicle with a clown on it can -- warmeister

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Has anyone dove alone?

Welllllllll....yes I have done a "few" solo dives over the years. In retrospect, I was fortunate not to have any "major" issues while "soloing". In certain situations, as BamaCaveDiver has pointed out, solo is the way to do it. Diving side mount lends itself to solo diving. I personally would not do it in a confined space situation, too many things can get into a pickle and not get you out. I have done close to 50 cave dives solo, and looking back, I would not do it again.

As for my mommy, what she doesn't know, won't kill me. As for the wife (ex), well, that is totally different ball of wax!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Has anyone dove alone?

I haven't dove solo/alone. But I will have the opportunity to do it when I go out to St Maarten in September - they are shore dives and I dont' know how deep (found it - 30ft) or whether the LDS have any restrictions or guidelines, but diving without a DM/instructor will be another experience under the weight belt

As for my mom - i doubt she'd mind (what she doesn't know won't hurt her) and anyway, as she used to dive through BSAC about 30 years ago, i'm sure she'd be all for it
    Last edited by lottie; 07-31-2007 at 05:41 PM.
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    I haven't dove solo/alone. But I will have the opportunity to do it when I go out to St Maarten in September - they are shore dives and I dont' know how deep (found it - 30ft) or whether the LDS have any restrictions or guidelines, but diving without a DM/instructor will be another experience under the weight belt

Lottie, what we are talking about is not diving without a DM/instructor, but alone like by yourself, no one else in the water with you at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast