Thread: Going Solo?

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    I was just wondering the same thing myself.....

Care to elaborate Phlocker???

I wouldn't even pay attention to such a juvenile comment!! And I certainly would not elicit any further comment.

As for the subject at hand, I have been on many dive boats by myself. As several others have mentioned, you will be paired with an individual with whom you will not be familiar. It is very true that in that situation, you will be self-reliant. It is usually with a certain amount of reluctance that I approach this situation. For the boat, an apparent single, experienced diver (the gear is the first clue, and the way one sets up ones gear is another) is a fortuitous happenstance. They WILL pair you up with the most inexperienced diver on the boat. This keeps the inexperienced diver in the close observation of the more experienced diver, all the while limiting the bottom time of that experienced diver. This is all good for the dive operator. I have many stories along these lines.

My approach to these dives is/was to #1. Do a thorough dive brief. #2. Dive at the pace of the other diver. #3. Be very vigilant of the other diver. #4. Do very simple dives, with no penetration, if on a wreck. Limit the dive depth. #5. One of the things I would emphasise would be the establishment and the maintaining of buoyancy control. This single skill will tell you more about the comfort level and ability of a diver, more so than any logbook or tall-tale they may tell. This does really limit me as a diver, but the option is not to dive at all. What kind of choice is this?

So, do I still solo dive? On occasion. It is not something I actively pursue, but it does occur, and to be unprepared is to be placing one's name on the "has been" list.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    I wouldn't even pay attention to such a juvenile comment!! And I certainly would not elicit any further comment.
    I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post

...to be unprepared is to be placing one's name on the "has been" list.
    I think that last line of your's really says it all.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

I used to dive solo every chance I got; which wasn't often with my teaching schedule.
    It was my reward for what I did for others.
    When on dive boats for fun, I would usually show my advanced card so as to be left alone... some of my buddy's would flash their Instructor cards to be cool, and then be asked to give lectures, review dive tables, and all sorts or crap...
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    some of my buddy's would flash their Instructor cards to be cool, and then be asked to give lectures, review dive tables, and all sorts or crap...
    To which my response would be "Please make the check payable to..."

Remember that the DM, the crew, and anyone else working with that operation are getting paid. If you are asked to teach or something like that, then shouldn't you get paid as well?

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

In theory, yes.
    That's the price you pay sometimes for being at the top of the food chain;

Sorta like "Is there a doctor in the house?..."
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Just as the Dr. would say " I can't make a proper diagnosis here." Then he would hand you his/her card and say "What type of insurance do you have" and then would say "Call my secretary and make an appointment"

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

yes, the other thing that comes out of my attitude toward solo diving is people think I won't dive with inexperienced divers, which is not the case. How else do people get more experience safely. I just realize in those situations I have to adjust the dive plan and be prepared to look after myself.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    yes, the other thing that comes out of my attitude toward solo diving is people think I won't dive with inexperienced divers, which is not the case. How else do people get more experience safely. I just realize in those situations I have to adjust the dive plan and be prepared to look after myself.
    I actually prefer the inexperienced over those with a pocket full of cards who think they know everything.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Exclamation

Unless you are instructing! Never give that card at a resort or boat or as I hope you know you become responsible for every Nimrod on the boat or at the resort! Thanks to the lawyers! It is better to just be "That diver" than that nasty instructor who know there was going to be a problem but didn't stop me before I did something really stupid while the instructor was underwater 300 yards away! LOL, but true
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234