Thread: I really am not a bad person...

City
    Boston
    State
    Ma
    Country
    USA

All good points BamaCaveDiver,
    I just don't like to sift through the one liners, I feel like TOO many of them are throw away lines. You are correct that I have NO way of knowing which are which, and in fact, just because someone didn't know the victim doesn't mean that they aren't sorry. For instance, maybe it was your favorite dive spot and the victim was a new father, and those two things hit home for you, so you feel a pang. YUP, I get it, and its very therapeutic to post a condolence, I am completely on board..... I HATE reading them. Maybe its because it forces me to consider my own mortality, dunno.

As for the armchair quarterbacks, I don't mind those clowns. I like to read NTSB air transportation reports to learn from them, sadly diving has no real equivalent. But the armchair quarterbacks do make us (well me anyway) consider other things. For instance there was a thread about a possibly overweighted, possibly panicked diver fatality recently on another board. The first 10 or so pages were pretty valuable, yup, LOTS of speculation, but it made me consider both panic and overweighting, were they a factor in that particular accident? I have no idea, but I did learn from others speculations.
    sounds like we need to gear up a teampaulc uberwagen and hit the highway in the sinister way that only a vehicle with a clown on it can -- warmeister

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

That is it exactly Kirwoodd. Feeling unconnected when you read the one liners does not make you a bad person any more than my frustration arising from reading specualtion from the uneducated; it simply menas that we are both human, with our own individual interests and community connections. Unless the speculation gets carried to the point of pure lunacy (which happens more often than not from my experience) I usually attempt to ignore it and find better ways to occupy my time (just because something is put into print on the Internet does not mean that everyone who finds that page is obligated to read its contents.) I try to let those who need to grieve do so, as well as letting those who feel a need to speculate do their thing as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12