Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's diving where this weekend?

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    Ace,

Palm Beach has some wrecks, but Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area has a lot of nice wrecks. I usually drive there to hit those wrecks. They then drop you on the reef for a nice drift dive, if you are into that. The Keys wrecks are all right, but a ton of novice divers on these deeper wrecks (Spiegal Grove, Duanne, Bibb, etc.) are really starting to create their own problems, and there are some rumblings about "tightening" up the over sight at these sights.

Did several dives (6) in the caves in North Fl. this weekend. There are some nice dives for the open water types up there. Swimming with the manatees are supposed to be a nice diversion.
    > Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area has a lot of nice wrecks. I usually
    > drive there to hit those wrecks. They then drop you on the reef for a nice
    > drift dive
    Which site in Pompano do you favor, both wreck and drifts?
    > Did several dives (6) in the caves in North Fl. this weekend
    Which sites did you visit? Which was your favorite and why?

Tanks mon..
    Lars
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Ace,
    Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area has a lot of nice wrecks. I usually drive there to hit those wrecks. They then drop you on the reef for a nice drift dive, if you are into that. The Keys wrecks are all right, but a ton of novice divers on these deeper wrecks (Spiegal Grove, Duanne, Bibb, etc.) are really starting to create their own problems, and there are some rumblings about "tightening" up the over sight at these sights.
    Let me know all you can about the wrecks. The problem with most of the Keys wrecks are that most of them are sunk to create artificial reefs. I am not too into that type of wreck. I am looking for "real wrecks" as my definition of WRECK is just that. I personally feel artificial reefs like Spiegal, Duanne & Bibb are kinda lame and there is nothing for a treasure hunter like myself to find usually. I would rather spend my dive digging though a silt pile in the galley of an old ship looking for dishes or with my maul and chisel taking off a port hole or something like that. It seems like that type of diving does not seem too fun to many and MOST of the charter operations want to take cattle boats to Spiegal and such.

I am doing some research on finding a boat that will bring me to the good stuff. Let me know if you know anything and I will post my findings when I know more.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    > Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area has a lot of nice wrecks. I usually
    > drive there to hit those wrecks. They then drop you on the reef for a nice
    > drift dive
    Which site in Pompano do you favor, both wreck and drifts?
    > Did several dives (6) in the caves in North Fl. this weekend
    Which sites did you visit? Which was your favorite and why?

Tanks mon..
    Lars
    I am usually hitting the deeper wrecks, so I'll not discuss them here. The medium Tenneco Towers off of Lauderdale, are a good one. The RSB-1 and the "Capt. Dan" are also decent wrecks.

I will say about the caves before I discuss them. CAVE DIVING IS TO NEVER, NEVER, NEVER TO BE DONE WITHOUT PROPER TRAINING!!!!

As for the caves, my favorite is Little River. There are some personal reasons for this. What is not, are the majestic limestone formations found through out the system. Some of the side passages are well worth the time spent exploring them. The geology is fasinating, once one starts to realize what it is that one is looking at.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I am usually hitting the deeper wrecks, so I'll not discuss them here.

???

There are others that can go deep man. I know I could go deep much easier than I could go in a cave. So spill the beans on the wrecks.

Registered Users

I've heard of the Tenneco Towers, never dove it. I've never heard of The RSB-1 and the "Capt. Dan". I'll have to do some reading on those.. Thanx
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    ???

There are others that can go deep man. I know I could go deep much easier than I could go in a cave. So spill the beans on the wrecks.

NO!!!! on the deep stuff.

Most wrecks down here are part of the artificial reef program.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

NO!!!! on the deep stuff.

Most wrecks down here are part of the artificial reef program.

Watever, it is not hidden info, so if I need it, I will find it. What is your reason for being here if you can't share. Anyway, yes, that is the major problem down there it is almost all artificial. I know the real stuff is there, I just have to find someone that will take me to the good spots not the BS spots. Maybe like you they don't want to share.

City
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post

I know the real stuff is there, I just have to find someone that will take me to the good spots not the BS spots. Maybe like you they don't want to share.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12