Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mask Seal w/ Mustache

Wow! Never thought this thread would go so far...
    All comments and suggestions (except shaving) are warmly accepted with my thanks! I have concluded a couple things that I believe will help me with concerns over my 'stache'. Mine is quite 'wiry' and grows close to my nostrals. I've taken to tweezing as opposed to shaving a line under my nose. Gradually mind you, not all at once but there is now a nice smooth area of skin to help with the seal, and it doesnt grow back.
    Second is my mask. I'm trying some different masks and noticing a better fit with some over the one I had been diving with. A new mask is in my near future...
    My main thought was of mask sqeeze. I have yet to go deeper than 25' but noticed even there I cannot maintain positive pressure without it seeping out through my stache. Is mask squeeze at deeper depths an issue due to this factor?
    Shaving is out of the question as someone elluded to my need to disguise a rather homely face. I did shave it some years ago and a co-worker advised me to "do yourself a favor and grow it back"!! I took his advice, obviously...
    We are doing some advanced diving this weekend and I'll see how things go. I'm going to borrow another mask from the shop to try. Mine has a clear skirt and I'm wanting one in black. It's a macho thing...
    Dave

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by aerospot View Post
    All comments and suggestions (except shaving) are warmly accepted with my thanks! I have concluded a couple things that I believe will help me with concerns over my 'stache'. Mine is quite 'wiry' and grows close to my nostrals. I've taken to tweezing as opposed to shaving a line under my nose. Gradually mind you, not all at once but there is now a nice smooth area of skin to help with the seal, and it doesnt grow back.
    Second is my mask. I'm trying some different masks and noticing a better fit with some over the one I had been diving with. A new mask is in my near future...
    My main thought was of mask sqeeze. I have yet to go deeper than 25' but noticed even there I cannot maintain positive pressure without it seeping out through my stache. Is mask squeeze at deeper depths an issue due to this factor?
    Shaving is out of the question as someone elluded to my need to disguise a rather homely face. I did shave it some years ago and a co-worker advised me to "do yourself a favor and grow it back"!! I took his advice, obviously...
    We are doing some advanced diving this weekend and I'll see how things go. I'm going to borrow another mask from the shop to try. Mine has a clear skirt and I'm wanting one in black. It's a macho thing...
    Dave
    What works for you is the important thing, but just remember that you are more of a man than I am (I'll stick to shaving a thin line myself)

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by aerospot View Post

All comments and suggestions (except shaving) are warmly accepted with my

Dave

Dave,

Reference your textbook for mask squeeze. You will find that it is differential pressure between the air space INSIDE the mask, and the increased ambient pressure surrounding the external surface of the mask that constitutes a squeeze. To equalize the pressure, eliminating the squeeze, is simply blow through your nose. The increased air pressure within that air space will eliminate that squeeze. A good indication of a mask squeeze, is the bruising around the eyes subsequent to the dive. It is not very painful, but looks absolutely awful!! If this occurs make sure that the "story" is fifteen guys jumped you in a bar and they are the worse for the experience. (or just say the wife looks worse! )

A proper fitting mask is the single most important piece of equipment, after the cranial appendage that it surrounds. A proper fitting mask will remain in position on your face, after a slight inhalation through your nose (creating a slight vacuum). The mask should not equalize (heard that word before?) and then fall off your face. It should retain that vacuum for a good 30 seconds. Any mask that does not do this is not right for you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234