Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mask Seal w/ Mustache

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    This is probably going to seem like a really girlie response to a serious manly question...

Alternatively, you could shave of your 'tache??
    Oh the fun I could have with this one... But seriously, trimming a bit under the nose wouldn't hurt. Even as much as an 1/8 of an inch is usually would give enough surface area for a seal.
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-h2O View Post
    Oh the fun I could have with this one... But seriously, trimming a bit under the nose wouldn't hurt. Even as much as an 1/8 of an inch is usually would give enough surface area for a seal.
    Obviously I would like to avoid having to shave it. Its been there 36 years and I've grown kinda fond of it. But I did consider it if I had to.

But seeing others who have mustache's I thought I would ask the question.

It hasnt been an issue for me as of yet but I've only experienced snorkeling up until now. I was unclear what issues I might find at depth.
    I'll keep what I have through our ow test and see how it goes. I don't think it is going to be an issue with the assurances I have here. Thanks!

Dave

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

NEVER SHAVE!

If it is that bad, you just have to break down and get the full face mask.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    NEVER SHAVE!

If it is that bad, you just have to break down and get the full face mask.

Not shave it off trim it back. Unless you want that married Amish look
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Not shave it off trim it back. Unless you want that married Amish look
    Dude, I am telling you it should be no problem. Don't shave anything. If you are cool in a pool or whatever, there will be no problem at depth. You will be so busy enjoying the dive you won't even think about it. Again the purge will make clearing your mask just happen so go for that.

And I don't even think the Amish really want to look like that!!!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

ROFL@Ace & DaddyH2O...You two are soo funny!!
    Lottie

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by aerospot View Post
    Obviously I would like to avoid having to shave it. Its been there 36 years and I've grown kinda fond of it. But I did consider it if I had to.

But seeing others who have mustache's I thought I would ask the question.

It hasnt been an issue for me as of yet but I've only experienced snorkeling up until now. I was unclear what issues I might find at depth.
    I'll keep what I have through our ow test and see how it goes. I don't think it is going to be an issue with the assurances I have here. Thanks!

Dave

I have had a mustache for as long as hair has been framing my mug. I initially had issues with leakage around the nasal area. I trimmed a small area under the nose......WhaLah!!! no more leakage. Looks better, last long time!

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

A Cessi Big Eyes mask worked for me with no trimming or anything.

Matt

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Where are all the Instructors on this one? Think folks ever hear of Archimedes? Unless the mask leaks from the top or your upside down how is the water going to get in even if it had a hole at the bottom! The vast majority of mask leaks are because of wrinkles or hair that prevents a good seal at the TOP of the mask allowing air to escape and be displaced by water coming from any non-sealed area. But if you hold the air in the water can't come in! Look at your buddy next time and you will see small bubbles coming from the top. So a Beard or Mustache has very little to do with it. Stop smiling or laughing and get a mask with a good skirt and fit and you will then have to let a little in once in a while to swish!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Where are all the Instructors on this one? Think folks ever hear of Archimedes? Unless the mask leaks from the top or your upside down how is the water going to get in even if it had a hole at the bottom!
    Good poing Papa Bear, but I do have one thing to say about that. On land, the area near your mustache is at the bottom but as a diver you should know in the water that area is not necessarly the bottom. Maybe for beginer divers who for many reasons seem to have their head up high with their fins down low this could be true.

For the rest of us that dive in a horizontal position the glass of our mask becomes the bottom and the seal is on top, so water can leak in near the mustache.

Stop dragging your fins in the sand and get horizontal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast