Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mask Seal w/ Mustache

Default Mask Seal w/ Mustache

I've always sported a Mustache. I have done some snorkeling over the years and never had any problem clearing my mask.
    But during our pool sessions I have noticed that I tend to constantly blow % air out my nose to keep pressure in my mask. Last class we had hoods on and the air escaping the corners of my mask was bubbling up and under the edge of my hood creating a bubble on top of my head!

My concern is that as I dive deeper mask squeeze will become an issue without the positive seal around my upper lip. My instructor has assured me stating that depth will actually help to create a more positive seal and prevent mask squeeze. I know (& see...Zero) others who sport 'staches' who are divers so, it has to be a non issue, right?

Dave

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Aero,

I have a beard and mustache and understand your concern. No matter what you do, you will get a little bit of leakage where your mask tries to form a seal against your skin with the hair in between. It was only a concern for me when I first started diving with facial hair, but it only took a dive or two to understand it is no big deal. You can always clear your mask, as long as it is not pouring in.

One thing I have noticed is the masks with a purge valve really help to clear out that water and also prevent the air pocket inside your hood. I use an Ocean Master View 3 with a purge valve located at the bottom tip of the nose. Every few breaths, just blow out your nose and your mask will be clear. The bubbles come out right above the regulator so they will not get trapped behing your hood.

Hope this helps.

oh yea, I know of some guys that insist a coating of vasaline on your stash will also help, but that is beyond what I feel is necessary, plus it would mess up my dry suit seals!

Not an issue just something to deal with as necessary. If you are blowing into your mask you are counteracting the mask squeeze issue. The bigger issue is what kind of stash you have. Big bushy cookie dusters always seem to have a stray hair that want to break the seal, but neat and trim you can work with. My trick is to remove the reg, put my hand (mostly the thumb and forefinger at were it curves) to my face under the mask and "sqeegy" towards my chin to pull any wild hairs and then deal with any leaks as needed.

Also the mask itself. Some designs lend themselves more to being problematic with facial hair. My larger mask was a hassle like that I could rarely get a good seal, when I switched to a low profile mask I had considerably less leakage.

Like alot of things with scuba, it really NOT about who makes what, it is more about "What works for you"
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

City
    Lexington
    State
    Ky
    Country
    USA

Default Mustache/seal

I agree with the above. A mask with the purge valve in the nose helps a lot with the small amount of leakage. And as for the bubbles in the hood issue, you can take a hot soudering iron and burn a small hole in the top for the air to excape.

Depth should not be a problem.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Phlocker View Post
    And as for the bubbles in the hood issue, you can take a hot soudering iron and burn a small hole in the top for the air to excape.
    I forgot about that issue, because I have a vent built into my hood. It is a Henderson Hyperstrech, they come with a vent hole.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Had a 'tache and beard since way before i started diving, have never had an issue with it. I would have thought that any failure of the mask to seal properly would show up when you try the fit in the shop! Wouldn't it?
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Thanks guys.

Fitting in the shop the 'stache' prevented a positive seal but I was still able to keep the mask on my face just by creating a vacuum with my nose. It hasn't been an issue save for my habit to exhale through my nose more than I see others doing. On the other hand, removal of my mask underwater didn't create any water in the nose issues like some of my classmates experienced

My instructor suggested taking a nail and heating it with a bic to make a hole in the top of my hood. I had a hard time submerging with all the air on top of my head until I turned over and let it out my face opening. My 'Buddy' was laughing so hard he had to surface!

I'm going to try the purge mask. The LDS has one that I can borrow for our next class. The instructor told us we would be performing our OW dives at Kinzu Dam in Warren PA Mid August. I just cant wait!!

I've had this 'stache' for so long I couldn't imagine shaving it off, but was contemplating doing so if I had to to dive...

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Put a small hole in the top of your hood if it doesnt have one and breathe out through your nose all the time or whenever needed. Works for me.

Matt

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

The purge valve masks do seem to work for some, but I have known quite a few who ran into problems clearing due to the purge valve getting in their way. I just keep a small area trimmed right under my nose that allows my mask to seal perfectly. You would be surprised just how little bare skin you need to expose in order to facilitate the seal. Most hoods today have some sort of vent hole in the top, but not all work as efficiently as you would hope. As suggested, a hot nail or soldering iron can easily solve that problem.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

This is probably going to seem like a really girlie response to a serious manly question...

Alternatively, you could shave of your 'tache??
    Lottie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast