There is still not enough information to understand anything but the fact that she is dead. To try to find a lesson or prove a point is mute because we don't know!

Why does there always have to be a lesson learned anyway?

You want a lesson? Here is a frekin lesson:

The dive training agencies are lacking and again are concerned about getting training classes and of course profits from them. They want as many certified divers as they can get out there so they can sell more classes and more gear.

If they would focus on really lengthy and in-depth training, forget trying to make everyone pass. I always see people in SCUBA class that I honestly feel should not be diving because they just don't feel comfortable and can't ever perform things right without help. Those people will usually panic in an emergency. BUT we have to teach them and get them certified, because the agencies tell us so. They will always get certified even if they have to take the entire class again, unless they quit. So even if they don't belong in the water, eventually they will be certified if they really want it.

Do you think NASA would send someone out to do a space walk with a 2 week class(similar to scuba) and send them out with a "certification to learn" while they are out there. No frekin way!!! They train for a long time and read books, take tests and study and practice a lot (not a few pool sessions and 4 dives). Guess what, if they screw up, they are out. With SCUBA if you screw up, the instructor will hold your hand and make you pass.

Maybe if we had real training and not the basic OW1 bull we would have less dead divers. Funny thing, you have to take the risk on your own before even taking some of the more advanced classes, because you need minimum numbers of dives.

So I guess their theory is learn as little as you can to get in the water. Practice as much as you can and if you don't die we will teach you the important stuff (like stress & rescue )later.