Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-h2O View Post
    Check out local clubs and quarries.

Don't rule one out completly, because the minute you get drysuit certified you will again kick yourself for not doing this sooner! Ofcourse drysuit diving is not for everyone and thats okay too.
    Well, the 7mm is on its way. We will be doing our OW in wetsuits and figured I'd just get it and be done with it. However after reading posts here and elsewhere, I'm think'in that a drysuit may be in my future if I plan to dive with any frequency, and I would very much like to!

As Ace has indicated there are some deals to be had and I'll keep my eye out. I will be inquiring into training for diving in a drysuit tomorrow at class. They have already gotten all of us to sign up for advanced OW!

Funny, while in Florida last March,they advised a full suit and I had opted for a shortie after swimming around in just swim trunks during my snorkeling ventures. The water was around 73 F and they all went "Brrrrr" after diving in.. Perhaps I should just move to the Keys?!?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Well, if moving to the Keys is an option, they you can forget the drysuit completely!

As far as the Great Lakes, even in the middle of the summer, the water is quite cold at depth.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Well, if moving to the Keys is an option, they you can forget the drysuit completely!

As far as the Great Lakes, even in the middle of the summer, the water is quite cold at depth.
    Oh how I wish that I could move to the Keys!! But, with all 3 kids established within 4 miles of us, and with them 9 grandkids,... I aint goin nowhere. (At least short of hitting the lotto and all moving there

That means Lake Erie diving so I'll be asking Ace & Daddy H2O lots of questions. Looks like a drysuit wont be too far off. I know of at least one dive club associated with the shop that I am learning through. I hope their membership is not prohibitive for me...

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I'll help you in any way I can. I know Daddy-H20 and I are used to diving in the cold water. Don't worry though, if you can handle the cold you are in for some of the best diving in the world with all of the wrecks that are really preserved in the Great Lakes. Unlike the wrecks in salt water that get destroyed quickly.

Look into if there is a quarry or lake nearby that you can dive in. There are a bunch of state parks in PA that allow diving. Check out this link:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...ion/scuba.aspx

Ace

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post

I am going to mildly disagree to this statement (respectfully) The smaller lakes this is more of a true statement. ie... Skeanatlas Lake, Owasco Lake, Cayuga Lake and the other Finger Lakes have a significant Thermocline in the summer near or below 40' But are still doable to 100' in a wet suit. This depends on your own comfort level's too. The St. Lawrence tends to run in the summer the same temp from surface to depth. A friend of mine just went up last week and did some dives around 70' or so and stated that there was no thermocline. It was the same temp to depth. This was also the case when I dove the "Robert Gaskin" at 75' a few tears ago. Lake Ontario shallows, 75' or so,tend to do the same thing which was proven to me when I dove the "Mary Kay" @ 50' and the "David W. Mills" Which is between 12' and 25' all in the same temps.
    I will close this by saying this has been my experiances and it may vary with others.
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12