Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
As far as the Great Lakes, even in the middle of the summer, the water is quite cold at depth.

I am going to mildly disagree to this statement (respectfully) The smaller lakes this is more of a true statement. ie... Skeanatlas Lake, Owasco Lake, Cayuga Lake and the other Finger Lakes have a significant Thermocline in the summer near or below 40' But are still doable to 100' in a wet suit. This depends on your own comfort level's too. The St. Lawrence tends to run in the summer the same temp from surface to depth. A friend of mine just went up last week and did some dives around 70' or so and stated that there was no thermocline. It was the same temp to depth. This was also the case when I dove the "Robert Gaskin" at 75' a few tears ago. Lake Ontario shallows, 75' or so,tend to do the same thing which was proven to me when I dove the "Mary Kay" @ 50' and the "David W. Mills" Which is between 12' and 25' all in the same temps.
I will close this by saying this has been my experiances and it may vary with others.