Thread: New teens are diving!

City
    Tacoma
    State
    WA
    Country
    USA

Default New teens are diving!

Just finished certifying two teen girls (14) as Jr. Open Water divers. This was great...really builds confidence and self esteem! One of the girls is pretty dependent on mom and dad to "do things" for her in her normal life...but that wasn't an option. She had to muster strength that she didn't think that she had...overcome discomfort (we're diving cold water with alot of gear...) instead of sitting out...and she was thrilled at the end that she had made it through.

The other cool thing about teens...WOW!!! Best students in the world...prepared for class...pay attention...ask questions...and TOP scores on tests!!

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Nice, I was just 14 when I got my first certification. I remember it like it was yesterday too. NAUI open water 1 I don't think they even have open water 1 anymore.

Anyway, I remember being the same way. Waiting around for my ride to class hoping we would get there early so I could help to unload the cylinders from the van, while I asked a zillion questions I had about diving. I read the entire book at least once a week before class, and of course aced all of the tests.

Mind you, it was Summer Vacation, my job was only 3 days per week, and I had nothing else to do but hang out with friends and of course we couldn't drive. Plus I was immortal, because I was 14. Now of course I work much harder and MANY more hours now. I don't get a Summer Vacation anymore, well only short ones, but not the entire summer.

oh yea, nowadays, I don't want to lift a scuba cylinder if I don't have to.....but that immortality thing I was talking about earlier was disproved when I was 19 years old and broke my back, but that's another story.

Anyway, it surely does bring back great memories, thanks!

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Just out of curiousity do you find any marked differences between teen guys and girls in the same age groups? Like maturity wise and confidence in the water.

Matt

City
    Corona
    State
    California
    Country
    United States

I'm also curious what is motivating the teens of today into scuba....Is it environmental, adventure, the next challange, an "X-Game Thing"?....does it appear the reasons are drastically different between the boys and the girls? or do the majority approach the lifestyle for about the same reasons?........No I'm not writing a theseis...But we are looking for ways to get more of the kids in our area involved and interested in Scuba and the Ocean.
    SeaDog
    You Never Know What Lurks Below

http://www.myspace.com/twself

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Nice, I was just 14 when I got my first certification. I remember it like it was yesterday too.
    I, too, got certified at 14, back in 1974. I did my pool work in a little pool at the side of the shop; the same pool I learned to swim in at age 3...
    I drove my Mom nuts having her drive me to the dive shop in North Laguna to hang out. I remember the smells of the saltwater and neoprene suits; sounds of tanks filling; divers coming and going all weekend long. Tracking sand all over the shop and parking lot.
    Funny, too, because I was teaching there 8 years later...
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Registered Users
    City
    canada
    State
    canada
    Country
    canada

When i am 16 then i start diving and in the age of 18 i got first certification so i think these teens are doing very good job here.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    I, too, got certified at 14, back in 1974.
    I was born in 1974 old man.......just messing with you....have not seen you here in a while. Hope all is well.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Thanks, Ace.

All is well here. Just working hard to create wealth, and not making the time to visit here.

I also turned 50 yesterday, and am planning with my honey, to re-locate to Florida this year so we can dive regularly.

All the best,

ASW
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Registered Users

I started diving when I was 20. Today I still a rookie because I rarely go to dive.