Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scuba DivingTrip for the ....

Quero,

I understand the best diving in Thailand is a live aboard to the Similians? What are land based dive resorts like?

Country
    USA

If our members want it we can arrange an official ScubaMagazine.net Group trip but we typically need at least 10 confirmed.

The best deals to be had are the Philipines but we can probably arrange for something with advance notice in Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Bali, Singapore, etc.

We'll be talking with some resorts in November at the DEMA show and see what we can plan out.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Considering you would need that many members to go, I think a MUCH better idea would be a trip for anyone in the group instead of just the singles. It seems like eliminating a large part of the group would not be very nice to us married or other couples.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    If our members want it we can arrange an official ScubaMagazine.net Group trip but we typically need at least 10 confirmed.

The best deals to be had are the Philipines but we can probably arrange for something with advance notice in Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Bali, Singapore, etc.

We'll be talking with some resorts in November at the DEMA show and see what we can plan out.
    That all sounds really good and the first offical SMN diver trip to the Phillipines (or around that part of the world anyway) would be good, especially if we can get some good deals(?) with some resorts.

Ace - I'm inclined to agree with you (this thread started off as a bit of fun), but if there are 10 people out there (well, 9 really if you count me off). I think this should be open to everyone.
    Last edited by lottie; 07-19-2007 at 12:38 PM.
    Lottie

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Default Thailand

1) Best time of year: from 1 November to 1 May. My pick--Feb/March/April

2) Best sites: accessible from liveaboards to the Similans. Typically 4d/4n. But we can also do land based and have daytrip diving. We can dive for four days on day boats (2, 3, or 4 dive days) and not do the same site twice. We don't have dedicated dive resorts at Phuket.

3) Numbers: we don't need 10, but if we have that many, we can get cheaper deals (half charters, for example). However, with any number we can go. All kinds of price ranges are available from super budget to super luxe. You get what you pay for, in relative terms, though. Cheaper means shared bathrooms, for example, and no Nitrox fills.

City
    Cottage Grove
    State
    MN
    Country
    US

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Ace - I'm inclined to agree with you (this thread started off as a bit of fun), but if there are 10 people out there (well, 9 really if you count me off). I think this should be open to everyone.
    You know I'm there!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Okay - so to recap...we have
    Me (obviously!)
    IceDragon,
    Quero,
    Ace,
    Yohanson,

....anymore for anymore???
    Lottie

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Organize a trip to Thailand that is cost effective and will allow cave diving (for those so certified) and I will become single (if that is a pre-req)

Country
    USA

Yesterday I spent all day laying the groundwork for being able to invite others to a group dive trip so we have a sufficient number.

Last week I spoke with a large dive travel agency I had previously met with at a trade show and the magic # is 10 paid in full.

There are a handful of resorts awaiting me doing a review and doing some HD video productions of the resort and the diving.

Somewhere there was also a resort in Bonaire that wanted me out, but I hear Bonaire is all beach diving where you drag your equipment all over and I prefer to do resort diving with boats, as lugging around 70lbs of gear and a 40lb HD videocam system ranks right along with having a massive c02 hit on the rebreather or discovering posthumously there was carbon monoxide in the airfill.

As an option, if we did any of those resorts such as Davao, etc, I could do an HD video production where we are all in it, and it gets posted to about 41 video file sharing sites including YouTube, etc. and all attendees would get a CD.

The end of October/beginning of November we'll be in Florida to do an HD video production of Diving with the Manatees courtesy of Captain Mike of Sunshine River Tours and his ever lovely colleague Captain Doreen.

While in Florida we'll be covering the DEMA show and really putting our nose to the grinder with resorts and dive travel agencies and getting some fun trips together.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Okay - so to recap...we have
    Me (obviously!)
    IceDragon,
    Quero,
    Ace,
    Yohanson,

....anymore for anymore???
    I never said I was going. Now if you can talk KatieCat into going, then of course I will have to go. She is the one that works the real job and plans all of that stuff. I am mostly in charge of equipment and such. LOL

Anyway I am down for going anywhere, but like I said she makes the vacation decisions mostly.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast