Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Ace-

ROFLMAO! So I bet that now you have a better idea of the water temps.

Yup, we will be tenting. I've been at work all day - I'm still at work - so I haven't had a chance to check with anyone else from the club. But we have a club meeting this Wednesday, and I'm going to see if anyone else is going to try to make it.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Hey Ace,

How about Guppy Gulch?

And will Wabanks Aquaculture ever be back?
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I have never been to Guppy or Wabanks. I am willing to go on a little adventure to any of these places. I do know that there is Bainbridge Scuba, a quarry that is open. There is of course Dutch Springs which I am sure you know about.

There are a few other places near here as well, but I am really trying to get to some salt water. The boat dives in Jersey are costly though. I am thinking about some beach dives, but they may just be lame. Guess I will have to throw down some loot for the boat ride.

Wabanks maybe no more. It was a small part of a quarry on the east(?) side of Lancaster. I was there in '03 and shortly after they closed down because the quarry became active again.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I have heard of it before, but I have not been able to find much info. on the place. There are also the "secret" spots throughout the state that some lucky or resourceful divers get to go to.

So you are in New York, have you ever been diving in any of the finger lakes? I was told that diving was allowed and that the vis was good and there was even some things to see.

I have done a few of the lakes. The Finger lakes are more about the geology then wrecks and there is stuff that can be seen.
    Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence have some of the oldest and most intact wrecks known.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I think Lake Ontario is within a reasonable distance to do a long 3-4 day weekend type trip. Is that somewhere you dive or have gone diving often? If you have any info. on whats going on there let me know. I am trying to set up something for a few of us down here in PA.

Also what's the deal with treasure hunting and artifact finding in the Great Lakes. I was told they have some strict rules there about that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I think Lake Ontario is within a reasonable distance to do a long 3-4 day weekend type trip. Is that somewhere you dive or have gone diving often? If you have any info. on whats going on there let me know. I am trying to set up something for a few of us down here in PA.

Also what's the deal with treasure hunting and artifact finding in the Great Lakes. I was told they have some strict rules there about that stuff.
    There isn't alot on the NY side for dive charters, but there are a few PM me with some contact info and I will send you some stuff. And my local dive shop is currently setting up about just for that.

If you have a boat there are several great dives just outside of Oswego New York. Do a Search for the "David W. Mills" Also about an 1 1/2 hours north is the easyest shore/wreck dive you will ever do in Alexandria Bay NY

My Local shop also runs a boat on Skeanatlas Lake if you are interested in doing dives with lots of geology.

I will warn that the zebra mussels are a double edged sword. Yes they have been a benefit for the vis, but they cover everything! Oh and they are very sharp too.

As far as artifacts, it was explained to me this way. In NY if it has spent more than 30 days on the bottom it is the property of NEW YORK STATE. I do know guys that hunt for bottles and stuff but anything of real antiquaty(sp) will get your gear, car, boat, and anything else you have donated to the state. and I am told that Canada thinks that NY is to easy.

Do you have a time frame?
    Last edited by Daddy-h2O; 07-17-2007 at 02:48 AM.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I have to talk with my wife to figure out the best time. I am self employed, so I often think about taking short vacations. My wife on the other hand works for a large company and they don't like it too much when she takes off.

Geology is very intresting, but I am looking for wrecks. Considering I would have a hard time leaving behind any artifacts, I may have to reconsider. They don't have any rules like that for the wrecks off NJ that I dive.

I have this problem with wanting to remove anything made of brass off of shipwrecks.....

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Ace-

We're a "Go" for this weekend at Willow. LadyDog and I, and at least one other buddy pair will be coming in Saturday morning, camping overnight, and getting in a couple of dives before heading out Sunday afternoon. We're going to try to round up a few more at the dive club meeting tomorrow night. About twenty just got back from a week on the Nekton Rorqual and a another bunch are heading to CoCo View next week, so I don't know how many are up for blowing bubbles this weekend, but we'll see.

Are there fire rings in the camping area? We'll bring firewood if we can use it.

As for your question of wrecks in the St. Lawrence seaway, I haven't done it yet, but there are some pristine wrecks there. Our club is going up the first weekend of September (I don't think I'll make it this year). They use a dive op out of Brockville, Canada. And as Daddy-h20 said, the Canadians frown quite sternly on souvenir hunting.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast