Thread: Willow Springs Dive Park

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Wow, they have done a lot of work on the place. I was actually most impressed with their air fill set-up. I rarely get good fills on my HP100's anywhere but my LDS. But at Willow I actually got around 3200 - close enough.

No, I didn't see the wabbit. Guess I'll have to go back.

As for that winter diving, my man, well...that's going to have to wait for the drysuit. I'm working on LadyDog about that. Stay tuned...

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Okay a small quarry is fine but how well do you think you would fare in a meduim sized lake looking for an anchor line. Are your navagation skills up to the task.

I will state that mine are in great need of improvment. But we dive in Owasco Lake (one of the finger lakes) where the vis can be less than arms length. So I get to work on it. I know in a quarry, recently went to Dutch Springs, I am not so concerned with my navigation as much.

Just wondering if the same held true with others??
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-h2O View Post
    Okay a small quarry is fine but how well do you think you would fare in a meduim sized lake looking for an anchor line. Are your navagation skills up to the task.
    Usually in low vis or difficult navigation areas when we are diving from a boat, we have a way on getting back to the anchor line and a backup plan.

We generally attach a line to the wreck or some structure near the anchor line. We don't attach to the anchor or it's line, because if it ever pulled free we could be pulled into shallow water, become tangled or other danger.

Backup plan is a Jersey Line, which is basically a spool of line you can attach to the wreck or structure and use to get to the surface or deco. depth. It keeps you from drifting away as you would without a line.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    Wow, they have done a lot of work on the place. I was actually most impressed with their air fill set-up. I rarely get good fills on my HP100's anywhere but my LDS. But at Willow I actually got around 3200 - close enough.

The reason they give such good fills is because they are new to doing fills. They are a bit nervous about the entire thing so they are sure to check the pressure markings and the hydro and vis dates on every cylinder they fill. When they first began to do fills, they often gave very light fills. I remember in the begining one of my 3000psi tanks was only filled to 2100 psi. I think the divers made sure they figured out how to do it really quickly.

It is nice that they have the ability to do HP fills there, however they only have one HP fill whip.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Usually in low vis or difficult navigation areas when we are diving from a boat, we have a way on getting back to the anchor line and a backup plan.

We generally attach a line to the wreck or some structure near the anchor line. We don't attach to the anchor or it's line, because if it ever pulled free we could be pulled into shallow water, become tangled or other danger.

Backup plan is a Jersey Line, which is basically a spool of line you can attach to the wreck or structure and use to get to the surface or deco. depth. It keeps you from drifting away as you would without a line.

Sounds good but I don't think I explained well enough. We dive from pontoon boats in the Finger Lakes.

We are not on a wreck or a structure. We follow the anchor line down and check the anchor and then check depth before swimming into the current. More often than not we swim in one direction until someone hits 1500 psi or gets cold before turning around coming up to our anchors depth and returning. This has worked well for us. We have missed the boat and surfaced as much as 50 yards or so, but it has typically been an easy surface swim. One diver I go with will do a large square and everytime I am with him we have found his anchor line. I some how manage to get confused, simple math I struggle with in my head. Which is funny as I am a construction trade designer and I am forever doing math, I just need to write it out first...
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Another option for you would be a large strobe on the anchor line about 6 feet or so above the anchor. You should be able to see the strobe even in very low viz for some distance. It may not be perfect, but it will help for those times when you know you are close, but just can't find the line.

Another option again is to inflate a lift bag or surface marker with a line connected to it, you can use that line to go up but you will drift.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234