Thread: padi vs. sdi?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by arbit_fire View Post
    Hi

I am also a beginner. So it doesn't really matter which agency we choose unless we wish to go for job..Right?

And what if we want to advance the scuba courses? Like if I have the basic open water course from SDI and wish to got for the advanced one through PADI..? Wouldn't there be any restriction and/or extra charges for sure?

Thank You.

No worries, one nice thing is when you are advancing from your basic course to Advanced, you can change agencies. That is nice as you are not locked into one agency, plus you can get an opportunity to check out the differences 1st hand. No restrictions or extra charges either!

And even if you do decide to go for a SCUBA job, your first few classes still don't matter. So go with whatever shop, agency, or instructor you feel most comfortable with as that is the top priority....well second to getting certified! You are in for an amazing adventure, glad to see another diver in the making!

Registered Users

acelockco, Thanks for answering this I had the same question. I am taking my SDI Open Water Class Saturday and Sunday.

Registered Users

Default Scuba agency

Any agency is only as good as its instructors, almost all agency have same training program

Registered Users

Default PADI vs SDI

When I first sat down in an SDI get to know us seminar a few years ago at DEMA, I thought WOW! This is the way PADI should be. The courses are similar and they do allow the instructor to teach beyond the basics of the course, as needed/deemed.
    Major difference, from an instructor perspective is SDI supports the instructor where the Professional Association of Dive Instructor show more support for the IRRAs, hense the name does not match the foundation of their bias.

As mentioned below, it really is the instructor that makes the course a good course, safe course, educational or a great course. You can tell by the attitude. If you wind up with an instructor with the I'm greater than god or I love me attitude, etc. be careful.
    As for the certification card, there are tons of certifying agencies around the world. Usually showing a cert is enough to get equipment or on a boat, but it is up to the operator.

How do you tell? Ask to take a discover scuba and see how the trainer is. It keeps your expenses low while scoping out the potential. Of course if you are or want to train in Florida, I will be happy to assist. With over 34 years of diving under my weight belt and experiencing the oops personally, have the experience and knowledge to be the worlds greatest instructor!!! Lol :-) Good luck on your endeavor.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-h2O View Post
    As far as money goes, yes alot goes in to becoming an instructor and thay deserve to be compensated for it. I have several friends who are instructors. I have seen the things they need to do and not to mention insurances they need to carry.(Well at least in NY)
    My local dive instructor (SDI/TDI) has nothing good to say about PADI. I'm not sure that it's not pure bias but I don't have any way to judge. His take is that PADI courses are designed to make money and not to teach real necessary skills. He says that PADI courses are superficial and have some downright wrong ideation.

I have some doubts. This same guy says PST steel tanks are crap (I got used PST 72 and 65 LP tanks, viturally brand new with new high end valves for $100 for both as opposed to buying a single 80 Worthington from him for $350). He doesn't like Mares computers (because he isn't a dealer??? I really don't know).

I have to admit that when I got my kit for OW with them (after 55+ years of snorkeling experience) they did offer me options (including the most economical). My choices went to what I really wanted and thought was best with no pressure from them.

As far as my OW instruction goes - I thought they were very concious of each individual's progress and were kind enough to suggest additional sessions at no cost. I have no reservation with SDI courses. I've gone through Nav, Deep, Night and Solo. I plan to do Search & Recover soon. The courses are seriously good as long as you have a conciencious instructor.
    The only thing I believe in is disbelief - except in the case of unexpected miracles.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Each agency has its own curriculum, but the basics of diving are just that, and everything else is just marketing! All any card is is a release of liability for the person providing the air, there is no law against diving without a C-Card, only liability for the air provider! Like all education instructors or teachers are people and all different in one way or another The instructor can make the difference in weather a diver will be one for a long time or just another passing fad! PADI is an easy target for many, but you can get a great PADI instructor and a bad SDI one, so is the real question about the program? If so as long as basic principles of safety are covered it becomes personal involvement and your own quest for learning and desire to take your training seriously and to the next level and that can be done regardless of the agency!

The rewards of being a good diver are wondrous and fulfilling and often a door to a whole new world!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users

I'm certified with SDI. Since I have never taken a PADI course

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Great agency, but as I said as long as you get the basics to keep you safe, it is about Diving and that is what makes good divers! No matter the card, dive as often as possible and you will be a better diver and enjoy the experience much greater!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123