Thread: padi vs. sdi?

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Here is an example of an instructor on a HUGE ego trip, and why finding a good instructor is more important than the certifying agency.

We were on a dive trip to Key Largo last february when this instructor from the Miami area brought a group of about 10 students down for their open water cert dives. We were on the same boat, and when he introduced himself the first thing he did was brag that he certifies more students than anyone else in his area. He spent the next two days bragging about his diving adventures, berating his students in every way possible, and openly ogling his two female students. His teaching style was to use put-downs, insults, and negative comments. A real boot camp style. Oh, and his divers? Let's just say it amazing there's any reef left after they got done standing on it, and rototilling it to pieces. If the guy had paid a little more attention to teaching his students, and a little less toward nuturing his ego trip, they would be better divers.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

That is unfortunate and that is most likely one of the big reasons PADI and most other agencies are going to the video and computer style training with a limited amount of actual instructor time. I guess they are trying to eliminate things like that.

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

For the record, the guy in my story was not PADI...and I'll just leave it at that.

I'm not sure that reducing the instructor role a good thing, though. All I have to draw on here is my own experience, and I have to say that my instructors have been awesome. We got our OW training in Aruba, AOW and Nitrox in Key Largo, and a number of specialties since then from my LDS.

For OW, we were in Aruba in the off season, and LadyDog and I happened to be the only students for four instructors at the dive shop that week. They sent us the OW manual two weeks before we went down. They did some discover dives and they had a fair number of certified divers on the boats, but we were the only OW students. We were drilled and grilled at every turn. Our pool days were full day sessions. Our nights were spent with our faces in the books. For our final checkout dive our instructor turned off the gas valve without us knowing, then threw our rigs as far off the boat as he could into a pretty choppy sea. As they floated away on the current he looked at us and said, "go get 'em, put 'em on, swim back to the boat and I'll hand down your weight belts. Then we'll go diving." It was an interesting lesson in problem solving.

For AOW again, we were the only two students assigned to our instructor. We had a young, but conscientious instructor who was very thorough. We did 10 dives on that trip, and although we passed the requirements for AOW and Nitrox somewhere around dive 6, he dove with us for all 10 tanks and continued to critique and work with us the whole time.

I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten that type of personal treatment if it had been busy, but I'm happy we did. Our instructors really cared, and I hope it shows in our diving.

Maybe this story suggests that one thing to look for in deciding on an instructor, is class size. If an instructor is dealing with ten students, each one is only going to get a tenth of his attention.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Default Back to the OP

Getting back to the topic of the original post....

While it's true that the basic standards for agencies that adhere to the RSTC guidelines are pretty similar, there are differences. As noted by BK Diver, some agencies encourage instructors to go beyond the curriculum while others prohibit it. There are pros and cons to both approaches, but that is really a topic for a different thread, so I'll leave it there. The main thing is to make sure *you* are comfortable with your instructor and neither intimidated in any way or uncertain of his/her capacity to do a good job with you (you are allowed bias here, even if it's not very PC--you may prefer a male/female/teenage/middle-aged/senior instructor with a boot-camp/nurturing approach or anything in between!).

In addition, there are differences in the degree to which agencies embrace technology. Both PADI and SDI now have e-learning options that allow students to do most of the academic work online before meeting an instructor face-to-face for the practical in-water sessions. SDI was actually the leader in this approach, and PADI very recently jumped on what seems likely to become a bandwagon. SDI also *requires* students to train using a dive computer to plan dives whereas PADI still requires students to learn to use tables for dive planning. I expect dive tables will eventually become redundant (though a lot of us like redundancy when it's our lives in the balance), but it may take a while due to the economics of dive centers needing to supply the equipment. Already, most tech divers do all of their planning using computer software rather than using the cumbersome tables to work out those complex dive plans, so why not recreational diving. (After all, what else is a dive computer but dedicated software in a tiny bit of hardware?)

Hope that helps!

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    ...PADI and most other agencies are going to the video and computer style training with a limited amount of actual instructor time...to eliminate things like that.
    That is certainly part of it. Another part is that scuba instructors are both teachers and coaches. Most are accomplished divers and pretty good coaches. Where a lot of them fall down is in the classroom portion of the course. Many (perhaps most) don't really know how to teach in a classroom setting and simply read powerpoint slides aloud or repeat information students are having trouble with verbatim from the manual rather than going at it from a different direction so that it makes more sense to the student. Really good instructors can bridge that chasm, but significant numbers cannot. I know that a lot of students and instructors alike dread the classroom parts of the certification courses, meaning that many students don't get much from them anyway and may actually learn better in another way. I have certifications from three different agencies in a very large number of courses, and all but one of my instructors was an uninspiring classroom teacher, and yet great role models and coaches in the water.

I don't care who you are!!!

- Ha just relized this post was a bit more than 5 hrs to late.. (editted 7/15/07)

Now thats funny!!
    Last edited by Daddy-h2O; 07-16-2007 at 02:06 AM.
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

[QUOTE=Quero;5141]That is certainly part of it. Another part is that scuba instructors are both teachers and coaches. Most are accomplished divers and pretty good coaches. Where a lot of them fall down is in the classroom portion of the course. Many (perhaps most) don't really know how to teach in a classroom setting and simply read powerpoint slides aloud or repeat information students are having trouble with verbatim from the manual rather than going at it from a different direction so that it makes more sense to the student. Really good instructors can bridge that chasm, but significant numbers cannot. I know that a lot of students and instructors alike dread the classroom parts of the certification courses, meaning that many students don't get much from them anyway and may actually learn better in another way. I have certifications from three different agencies in a very large number of courses, QUOTE]

I could not agree more!!!! I had a partner who used his education background as a selling point for his classes. He was one of the better instructors I have observed. This very point was discussed amongst my dive team this last weekend. It was our collective agreement on this very item, that is dictating our choice of instructor for future training in the various disciplines of diving that we are pursuing as a team.

Now back to the original post. I have obtained certifications from 9 seperate organizations and the determining factor now, is what diving am I trying to do and what organization provides the best curriculum for that course of study. Now, I seek out the best instructor, period! That may mean traveling on my part. When it comes to my life, a few miles (kilometers) are an insignificant factor in my training requirerments.

How do I chose my Instructor/Agency? That is how!

Registered Users

Default Instructors

Thanks to all who have added input on my question! It seems like both agencies are as good as their instructors. Another question I've got came from what "acelockco" said about dive shops. if I was vacationing and I was not padi certified but sdi or tdi would the dive shop not recognize my certification. What is/are the main purpose of the dive shops? Would I not be allowed to Dive certain places because of my certification?

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Now, I perfer to go with a more technical based agency, but the bottom line is if we want a job in SCUBA, PADI is the biggest worldwide and will have the largest job availibity. I have never gone on vacation to see a ANDI or SSI or TDI dive shop, but I always see PADI.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

No, they are all universally accepted anywhere. The only difference is when getting a job. Generally you have to be certified by the agency that the business is affiliated with. There are times that some shops like to have the additional ability to certify divers with other agencies, but that is not usually the case.

Registered Users

Hi

I am also a beginner. So it doesn't really matter which agency we choose unless we wish to go for job..Right?

And what if we want to advance the scuba courses? Like if I have the basic open water course from SDI and wish to got for the advanced one through PADI..? Wouldn't there be any restriction and/or extra charges for sure?

Thank You.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast