Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: padi vs. sdi?

Registered Users

Default padi vs. sdi?

Hi, could i please get some non biast opinions on the fifferernces between these two organizations? differences, advantages etc.
    thanks

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

G'day and welcome aboard firstly.
    Any agency is only as good as its instructors. PADI while being the biggest and most well known isnt going to do you any good if your instructor doesnt teach you what you should know. Same goes for SDI. They are probably one of the smaller ones but are connected with TDI so do have a bit of backup.
    Anything you specifically need to know?

Matt

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

All of the certifing agencys are just about the same for their basic scuba class and even their advanced class. The way they teach varies a bit from agency to agency, but they all have to teach the same stuff.

The difference is more between different shops and more importantly different instructors. Your best bet is to try to meet with a few of the different insturctors to get a feel for whom you like the best.

Now in a final word, I am NAUI certified, and my wife is SSI certified. We were discussing getting going for our Dive Master certification so someday we may be able to work in diving. The more we thought about it, we decided we should go with PADI. Now, I perfer to go with a more technical based agency, but the bottom line is if we want a job in SCUBA, PADI is the biggest worldwide and will have the largest job availibity. I have never gone on vacation to see a ANDI or SSI or TDI dive shop, but I always see PADI.

Totally agree with the other posts in that a) open water standards are basically the same for most agencies and b) you should really consider the experience and reputation of the instructor as opposed to agency affiliation. As far as agencies go, PADI has a modular/ for-profit approach to teaching, which is why, (generally), you will get more out of class taught under a non-profit agency like NAUI or YMCA, which encourage their instructors to exceed standards as they see fit.

Kent
    Instructor
    NAUI/IANTD/CMAS

Instructors, instructors, instructors, If you get the feeling they are only in it for thier own ego or the almighty dollar (from what I hear the big money is far and few between) RUN! It is a lot like shopping for a mechanic. A good one is worth the extra $$ or the few extra miles you may have to drive. If you find an instructor who makes you feel comfortable they are worth thier weight in gold. Agencies ABC is not much diffrent from Agencies XYZ. PADI is the big name for the industry but I have never heard of anyone being denied the opportunity to dive because they hold a non-PADI card...
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Totally agree with the other posts in that a) open water standards are basically the same for most agencies and b) you should really consider the experience and reputation of the instructor as opposed to agency affiliation. As far as agencies go, PADI has a modular/ for-profit approach to teaching, which is why, (generally), you will get more out of class taught under a non-profit agency like NAUI or YMCA, which encourage their instructors to exceed standards as they see fit.

Kent
    Instructor
    NAUI/IANTD/CMAS

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

They won't prevent you from getting the job, the problem is you will have to be certified in whatever they are teaching. For example a NAUI instructor can teach NAUI, but he can not teach PADI classes. The basic and Advanced classes are the only ones that are universally accepted, all of the other classes seem to be agency specific.

I would perfer to learn from another agency!!! Believe me!!, but the fact that PADI is everywhere I have ever thought of going is huge!

Now as far as SCUBA instructors doing " it for thier own ego or the almighty dollar ", well what other reason is there? The reason anyone teaches is their ego. They feel like they know something and get a good feeling from sharing with others. Now as far as money is concerned, we all know that most professional divers (not commercial divers) are not making much money unless they happen to be really lucky. So that idea is down the drain, but if there was money to be made, they deserve it. A lot of hard work goes into becoming a dive instructor and should be properly compensated.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post

Now as far as SCUBA instructors doing " it for thier own ego or the almighty dollar ", well what other reason is there? The reason anyone teaches is their ego. They feel like they know something and get a good feeling from sharing with others. Now as far as money is concerned, we all know that most professional divers (not commercial divers) are not making much money unless they happen to be really lucky. So that idea is down the drain, but if there was money to be made, they deserve it. A lot of hard work goes into becoming a dive instructor and should be properly compensated.
    I can name two within 20 miles of each other that it is a total EGO trip for them. This doesn't mean that they are not good instructors, but they tend to draw other Ego geeks as well. I know that thier students who can't handle the ego trip either stop diving altogether or seek out another shop. So on this point I will respectfully disagree, and add that maybe I didn't communicate my point properly.

As far as money goes, yes alot goes in to becoming an instructor and thay deserve to be compensated for it. I have several friends who are instructors. I have seen the things they need to do and not to mention insurances they need to carry.(Well at least in NY)

But I think we got away from the thread a bit.

If the instructor fits your personality and you are comfortable with them, then I say be damned the agencies name.
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

well I thought all NY'ers had BIG EGO'S

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Now that was funny!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast