Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: padi vs. sdi?

Hybrid View

Instructors, instructors, instructors, If you get the feeling they are only in it for thier own ego or the almighty dollar (from what I hear the big money is far and few between) RUN! It is a lot like shopping for a mechanic. A good one is worth the extra $$ or the few extra miles you may have to drive. If you find an instructor who makes you feel comfortable they are worth thier weight in gold. Agencies ABC is not much diffrent from Agencies XYZ. PADI is the big name for the industry but I have never heard of anyone being denied the opportunity to dive because they hold a non-PADI card...
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

They won't prevent you from getting the job, the problem is you will have to be certified in whatever they are teaching. For example a NAUI instructor can teach NAUI, but he can not teach PADI classes. The basic and Advanced classes are the only ones that are universally accepted, all of the other classes seem to be agency specific.

I would perfer to learn from another agency!!! Believe me!!, but the fact that PADI is everywhere I have ever thought of going is huge!

Now as far as SCUBA instructors doing " it for thier own ego or the almighty dollar ", well what other reason is there? The reason anyone teaches is their ego. They feel like they know something and get a good feeling from sharing with others. Now as far as money is concerned, we all know that most professional divers (not commercial divers) are not making much money unless they happen to be really lucky. So that idea is down the drain, but if there was money to be made, they deserve it. A lot of hard work goes into becoming a dive instructor and should be properly compensated.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post

Now as far as SCUBA instructors doing " it for thier own ego or the almighty dollar ", well what other reason is there? The reason anyone teaches is their ego. They feel like they know something and get a good feeling from sharing with others. Now as far as money is concerned, we all know that most professional divers (not commercial divers) are not making much money unless they happen to be really lucky. So that idea is down the drain, but if there was money to be made, they deserve it. A lot of hard work goes into becoming a dive instructor and should be properly compensated.
    I can name two within 20 miles of each other that it is a total EGO trip for them. This doesn't mean that they are not good instructors, but they tend to draw other Ego geeks as well. I know that thier students who can't handle the ego trip either stop diving altogether or seek out another shop. So on this point I will respectfully disagree, and add that maybe I didn't communicate my point properly.

As far as money goes, yes alot goes in to becoming an instructor and thay deserve to be compensated for it. I have several friends who are instructors. I have seen the things they need to do and not to mention insurances they need to carry.(Well at least in NY)

But I think we got away from the thread a bit.

If the instructor fits your personality and you are comfortable with them, then I say be damned the agencies name.

well I thought all NY'ers had BIG EGO'S

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Now that was funny!

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Here is an example of an instructor on a HUGE ego trip, and why finding a good instructor is more important than the certifying agency.

We were on a dive trip to Key Largo last february when this instructor from the Miami area brought a group of about 10 students down for their open water cert dives. We were on the same boat, and when he introduced himself the first thing he did was brag that he certifies more students than anyone else in his area. He spent the next two days bragging about his diving adventures, berating his students in every way possible, and openly ogling his two female students. His teaching style was to use put-downs, insults, and negative comments. A real boot camp style. Oh, and his divers? Let's just say it amazing there's any reef left after they got done standing on it, and rototilling it to pieces. If the guy had paid a little more attention to teaching his students, and a little less toward nuturing his ego trip, they would be better divers.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

That is unfortunate and that is most likely one of the big reasons PADI and most other agencies are going to the video and computer style training with a limited amount of actual instructor time. I guess they are trying to eliminate things like that.

I don't care who you are!!!

- Ha just relized this post was a bit more than 5 hrs to late.. (editted 7/15/07)

Now thats funny!!
    Last edited by Daddy-h2O; 07-16-2007 at 02:06 AM.

Registered Users

I'm certified with SDI. Since I have never taken a PADI course

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Great agency, but as I said as long as you get the basics to keep you safe, it is about Diving and that is what makes good divers! No matter the card, dive as often as possible and you will be a better diver and enjoy the experience much greater!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast