Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
HP or LP Steel??

Thread: HP or LP Steel??

Hybrid View

I understand about the HP risk to my reg. Aside from that, should how my shop does air fills be my main consideration??

I'm thinking an HP100 filled to 3000psi and an LP100 filled to 3000psi will give me the same bottom time...same volume and pressure...

It seems HP tanks would give me more flexibility. I can mostly dive at 3000psi if that's what I usually get at my shop, but have the capacity to go up to 3450 when I need to.

Are there any diving differences between HP and LP tanks? I'm guessing the HP will be slightly heavier because it would require thicker walls to hold the pressure... Anything else I need to worry about?

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

If your shop sells HP tanks, they ought to be able to fill them as well.

I haven't used LP steels, so I can't tell you if they weigh less or not, but I can't believe any weight difference would be significant.

The only other thing I can think of to be aware of is the type of valve on the tank - yoke or DIN. DIN valves are quite common for HP rigs. Make sure you get valves that match your reg. My tanks have "Thermo Pro" valves which can actually be used with either yoke or DIN regs. There is an insert in the valve that is simply unthreaded to turn the valve into a DIN. These valves have a higher pressure rating that a standard yoke. Here's the Thermovalve website: http://www.thermovalves.com/stand_alone_valve.htm

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

That would be this valve, and they do have higher psi versions: