Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airline luggage weight strategies

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Nifty compartments! The (often losing) side of me who want to be more organized is going "ooooh"
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

I was wondering if anyone knew if you could have soft weights in your carry on?

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

I have enough trouble getting all my valuable and important stuff in my carry on, reg, camera gear, computers, dive magazines and soduko puzzle book without adding lead. I'd like to see the look at the security guys face when it pops up on the X-ray machine though. " ....and why exactly are you carrying small nylon bags full of lead shot, sir?"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Plus most places supply weights at no additional cost and most have soft weights.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Plus most places supply weights at no additional cost and most have soft weights.
    Yea key word is most. Where I hope to be going for a quarter of school won't and we have to bring weight. It would only be 10lbs or so but putting that on a checked bag will add a lot of weight leaving less for the important stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by shinek View Post
    I'd like to see the look at the security guys face when it pops up on the X-ray machine though. " ....and why exactly are you carrying small nylon bags full of lead shot, sir?"
    I agree and that's what I was thinking. I have a short domestic flight next week and I might just bring a 1lb bag to give it a shot it's not like I'd be losing a lot.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Can't you just buy the 10lbs of weight when you get to your destination? The other option would be shipping it in a box. Maybe you can find one of those flat rate boxes or envelopes. They would LOVE you filling it with lead.

I could possibly buy some but not 100% sure about buying it. Shipping might be quite a bit though. I'll have to look into it.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

If you are shipping internationally it will surely be less expensive to buy 10 lbs of weight when you get to your destination as long as you can buy such an item where you are going. I think most any place you go today (except the most remote places) will have weights and other scuba gear. I have been told by folks here that the quality of gear in some countries can be pretty bad, but unless they are selling you rocks or sandbags you should be OK.

very true, luckly weight isn't a vital life supporting piece of equipment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast