Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
I asked my mum about the 'ear beer', despite what you all say about it, I'm not convinced. She's been nursing for 30 odd years, including a number of years as an ENT Sister/Senior Staff Nurse. I must add that the following is her opinion only and I thought it would give y'all a different viewpoint on whats been said thus far about the ear beer.

"I do not agree with putting anything in your ear unless it's been prescribed by a doctor. You could, in the long term be damaging the inner ear, especially with the vinegar, keep that for your fish and chips as the constituent of vinegar is ascetic acid and this could, in time damage the ossicles (the three small bones in the inner ear). It's the same with Earax to get rid of wax, thats made up of a petrol derivitave and the amount of problems people get in later life with their ears, it's best not to go there.

Hope that clarifies, but this is my own opinion and the result of my ENT training - remember you should put nothing in your ear smaller than your elbow!!!!"
If you were using full strength vinegar, it is doubtful that the molarity would be high enough to cause any real damage, unless of course you were just letting it stay in there for a few days or weeks. The ear beer is along the same lines as the commercial products (swimmer's ear, etc.) just cheaper since it does not include the coloring and fragrances, etc. I have talked to several doctors, a number of whom are practicing ENT's, and most seem to prefer the homebrewed concoctions over the commercially available blends simply because the homebrew works. The ear beer is more of a wash, you put it in and then turn your head to drain (no letting it sit for five or more minutes like you have to do with some medications.) The vinegar produces an acidic environment that retards the growth of any bacteria or other nasties that may be staging for an attack, and the evaporation action of the alcohol dries everything out quickly. For folks with problem ears it is probably best that they check with their doctor first.