View Poll Results: How often do you go diving?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only on Vacation/Holiday

0 0%
  • Only on weekends

0 0%
  • At least once a week

4 26.67%
  • A few times a month

9 60.00%
  • It's part of my job

2 13.33%
  • Very occasionally

0 0%
  • Not very often

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often do you dive?

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

bubbles,

Have you tried ankle weights to help with floaty feet? You can also get larger ones that will also fit around a drysuit ankle. Also if you get cramps in your foot, the fit of the foot pocket isn't right for the shape of your feet/or the sizing isn't right.

Also, where do you wear your weights? If you don't have a weight integrated BC, you can still get the ankle weights (approx 2lbs & 2.5-3lbs each) and strap them to the top of your tank. This extra weight will counteract the bouyancy of an AL80 at the safety stop, plus take some weight off the weight belt.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

I would avoid the ankle weights, they can cause more problems than they solve. It clearly sounds like your bouyancy issues are from lack of practice; the more you dive the more confidence you build up (which is why we see new divers drop weight as they gain experience, and we also see their SAC rates improve.) It is all about becoming comfortable in the water column, to do that you need to spend time to develop confidence in your skills and ability.

You might try politely informing the DM's that you are diving the weight you need to hold your safety stop with a depleted cylinder. If they still insist on taking weight off, I would not hesitate in telling them to bugger off (actually, I would tell them something a bit different right from the start, but that's another thread... )

Find a calm body of water and check your weight with a near empty cylinder (just like we are all taught in our basic ow classes) and record that weight in your log book (and show that to the DM during the polite phase.) Each dive pay attention to how you feel and record it in your log (did you feel like you were a bit floaty, or perhaps a bit heavy. etc.) Once you have enough dives recorded you can pretty much put together any gear package (varying cylinders, different thermal protection, etc.) and have a reasonably close idea to how much weight you will need to safely finsih the dive. By all means, if you feel light at the beginning of the dive call it before things start going bad.

Most of the run away ascents I have seen or heard about with dry suits seem to involve folks that are either wearing suits that are way too large to begin with, or they are putting too much air into the suit. A good fit will put an end to floaty feet and drastic bouyancy shifts, as well as cut down on the drag that you will experience as you swim through the water column. Dry suits are expensive, and trying to save a few bucks is what typically causes folks to have these bad experiences (they buy a suit that fit their body, but the boots are five sizes too large and they do not bother to replace them.) Once you find a suit that fits properly, and you have dialed in your bouyancy, you will be asking yourself why you did not start off with that setup

City
    Reading
    State
    Berkshire
    Country
    England

Thanks Guys for all the advice re my bouyancy probs. Bamacavediver - you are right re ankle weights, I tried these prior to ditching the force fins and they were more trouble than they were worth! You also mentioned sizes of fins and this could well have been my problem on my openwater course - we borrowed all the equipment but when it came to fins I couldn't find a pair that fitted. We were diving in a very cold lake and I got terrible cramp on the last day - nearly didn't finish the course. I told the instructor I could only finish the last few skills if he allowed me to do it finless which he agreed to.

I will try doing what you said re testing bouyancy with a near empty tank and also trying to say 'no' to divemasters re weight they are taking off me because I feel I can never get settled - no continuity with all the DMs (not that I'm saying they are not experienced) having their own bit of knowledge to add!!! I wish I could dive more reguarly then maybe I would relax a lot more in the water.

I have got an intergrated BCD and so last holiday someone suggested putting small weights either side of the tank in the tank band pockets and this was an improvement.

Anyway thanks guys and if anyone else has something to add - I would be glad to hear it. I soooooooooo would really like to get this sussed!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Do you have access to a pool where you could jump in with scuba gear? Sometimes that is a good way to keep the rusties off when you can't get to the open water. Especially if you haven't been diving in awhile and you are heading off for a dive trip, if you can hop in the pool and practice a bit that can really help.

I second what Bama said about practice and experience.

City
    Reading
    State
    Berkshire
    Country
    England

I am a member of the dive club and we can use the pool free of charge on practise nights so may be I should make use of this. All I would need to pay for is tanks. The only downside is it can get very busy with lessons going on but I will certainly give this a go.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Save your money and get a drysuit. I can't imagine I would have any fun at all diving in a pool. Well the NASA training pool or something cool like that would be OK.

Country
    Canada

I second what Bama said about practice and experience.[/QUOTE]

you still dive???

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by scuba smurf View Post
    you still dive???
    (Yosemite Sam voice): oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hey, I do all kindsa stuff on the internet, man!

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    (Yosemite Sam voice): oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hey, I do all kindsa stuff on the internet, man!
    Seasnake... That's a little bit too much information!

*ducks*

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Oops ... guess I should've thought that out a little before hitting send ... erm ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast