Thread: Buddy Check MD, VA, PA

Hybrid View

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Great!

I would love to hear what it is like. The last time I went diving at Dutch Springs, the water temp was nice and warm. My temp gauge read 38 degrees! Break out the shorty wetsuit....lol

The visibility was nothing short of amazing though!

Default Dive Report Dutch Springs 30 June - 2 July

What an awesome weekend!

Dutch Springs 30 June - 2 July

Great weather, great diving, and a great gang to share it with. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah, a beer distributor just around the corner!

That sums up last weekend at Dutch Springs. I can't thank Jennifer and Allen for inviting me up to join the A-1 Scuba Diving & Snorkeling Adventures clan for a weekend of great company and great diving. Four great dives with a fantastic crew, I'll make the 3 hour trip from Annapolis anytime!

Diving at Dutch is probably the best a quarry can hope to offer. Large surface area and multiple entry points keep it from feeling crowded (even with a lot of divers around). Lots of underwater sites to visit including a Hellcat WWII fighter, a Helicopter suspended from floats at 45' that you can swim through, boats, trucks, and more at depths ranging from 30 or so feet to 95'. This past weekend the vis was 15 to 20 feet (especially if you got to the sites first!) and temps ranged from 70 at the surface to 48 at 86'. All this and there are always dive master qualified spotters watching over the in-water divers.

Thanks again A-1 Scuba Diving & Snorkeling Adventures! Can't wait to join up with you again!

Cheers,

Greg
    Always dive with a buddy & reduce the risk of shark attack by 50%

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I see you posted at www.paquarrydivers.com as well. Thanks.

I am really happy to hear you had a great time. Sounds like the visibility is bad for Dutch, but I have heard that from others as well. Still great visibility anyway.

Let me know the next time you are going to come up and maybe we can meet for some dives.

Ace

Will do Ace!

Cheers,

Greg
    Always dive with a buddy & reduce the risk of shark attack by 50%

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Hi to all of my fellow Mid-Atlantic types. I just found and joined this forum. LadyDog (my beautiful wife and dive buddy) and I have about a year of diving in the log book and have become total junkies. St. Lucia, Aruba, Key Largo, Pompano Beach and Lake Rawlings are already logged and Bonaire is coming up in September.

We're planning to hit Rawlings again on July 21 & 22. Anyone else going to be there?

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Dog,

I have never heard of Rawlings, can you give us some more info.

I know you are near me (PA) so maybe it is something close by to dive.

Ace

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Dog,

I have never heard of Rawlings, can you give us some more info.

I know you are near me (PA) so maybe it is something close by to dive.

Ace
    Lake Rawlings is in southern Virginia - a fair hike from PA, but it's awesome as quarries go. It basically has two depths. The deepest part is around 60 feet, and the largest part of the quarry has a bottom at around 30 feet. There are lots of sunken boats, vehicles and obstacle courses. Vis is really good during the week at as much as 60 feet. Things can get stirred up on weekends because a lot of training goes on there. But even then you can find some pretty clean water by getting away from the training platform area. The quarry has a large population of zebra mussels, which are credited for keeping the water clean.

There is a ton of on-site basic camping, and a few of spots with electrical hook-ups for RV's. No hot water shower houses yet, but they say they plan to put some in this summer. On-site air fills as well. Check it out at www.lakerawlings.com

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.