Thread: Advice needed on Sealife digital cameras - thanks!

Hybrid View

Registered Users

Default do I need to look for the receipt?

Hey, I'm new here and already I feel like I missed out. I actually bought the Reefmaster Mini about a week or two before this thread started.

Before I bought the camera I tried finding some user info on it, but all I found was users of cameras with new purchase housings. The Reef Master seems to do fine by me, but this is the first u/w camera I've ever used and really am just starting to figure out how to use it best underwater.

Excuse me if I sound thick, but what's the issue about the focus being fixed actually mean???

I don't know much about cameras and I figured this camera would be a good starting ground to later add strobes and a wide angle. As it stands, I'm getting a bit concerned I made the wrong purchase.

Thanks - Cos

Cos, fixed focus means you can't focus on something either really close or really far away.

The old throw away film cameras are an example of fixed focus. If one is stuck with such a versatilty-challenged, lol, camera, find out per the instructions what the distances are for subjects that will be in focus, then make sure you always take pictures of things within that distance range.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

It means there is no focus ring. They focus the camera with a slow lens that restricts light allowing a deeper depth of field. Take your finger and thumb and make a circle. Like a peep hole, now look through it and more stuff will be in focus within your field of view! The camera does the same thing with its
    F-stops. So if you look at the lens it will tell you the fastest speed or starting F-stop. the Reef master is 3.4 the mini I am not sure but it will be a higher number. In addition the Mini does not zoom it is a fixed lens as well, you can't zoom without focusing! It is a snap shot camera! If that is what you want that is what you will get with this camera. The fewer controls the more you are at the mercy of the camera and conditions! The max depth is 130 compared to 200 on the D600 as well. Don't wast your money on a second Flash for a mini! We post a Photo Tip of the week at twotankedproductions.com on our message board!
    Last edited by Papa Bear; 08-19-2007 at 02:20 AM.
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/