Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Thorfinn Chuuk runs aground pix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thorfinn Chuuk runs aground pix

Default Thorfinn Chuuk runs aground pix

Best wishes to the Thorfinn owner and crew on getting their ship refloated and repaired.

Images above possibly by Reef

Images by PalikirPass

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

So what is the story behind that boat?

City
    Northridge
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States

Ouch. . . that is going to leave a mark!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Pretty boat ... ummmm ... I don't think it's supposed to do that ...

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Isnt there enough wrecks in Chuuk without adding another one?
    Not a good thing as i had friends there the other week and they were less than impressed about the land based operator they used. Boats breaking down constantly was a big issue for them but there were many others as well.

Matt

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    So what is the story behind that boat?
    I don't know how reliable this is:

The Thorfinn has an engine room filling up with water. It came into Pohnpei and loaded up 70,000 gallons of used oil from PUC and there were not enough pilots to have one come aboard on the way out. A pilot was on each of the two ships leading the way and the Thorfinn was following the two lead ships and went on the reef yesterday…

A tug boat from Adams helped keep it upright during the night but after the high tide at 3a.m.; it was not able to get it off the reef. Adams is standing by now with a barge to pump out the oil if called upon to do so. At this point there is not way to save the ship. It is about one mile from the dock and in my estimation will not hurt anything if it goes down where it is located at the moment.

http://www.micsem.org/forum/comments...&page=1#Item_0

Now it's leaking oil:

Last edited by Sarah; 06-20-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: add updated photo

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I don't understand how they could not save a beautiful boat like that. I don't think it would be crazy to attach float bags to the entire vessel and float it up off the reef and back to dry dock.

They brought up the largest submarine ever made (the Kirsk) after being deep underwater for over a year.

We floated a school bus (stripped of course) with only 2 huge float bags and 4 smaller ones to set it into a quarry. We did it again this year with a nice size plane (not a little cessna either). It just seems too easy to save, but way too easy to give up.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

All takes time and a lot of money. Pohnpei isnt the most populated area around and probably wouldnt even have the resources to do it. Maybe rigging up a heap of 44 gallon drums might save it a bit and give it some time but again its all up to the dollars you can through around.

Matt

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

If they have the money to own a boat/ship like that with all of the fancy chase boats and such, I am sure money is not a problem. Also, there is such a thing as insurance that usually covers such an event.

I guess we will see what happens.

Funny, there is someone on the deck playing the guitar. Maybe he should put the guitar down and man the pump...lol.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Can anyone confirm or deny the rumour i heard that the Thorfinn went to the bottom and is unrecoverable?

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast